Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

View Poll Results: Buy AppleCare?
2011 with AppleCare til Nov 2014 for $249 0 0%
2012 with AppleCare til Nov 2013 for $170 4 100.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:10 PM   #1
dmk1974
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Buy AppleCare for 2011 MBA or sell and get 2012 MBA?

My wife's 13" 2011 MBA base laptop will be 1 year old in 12 days. I think it's a good idea to always have a warranty on these skinny MacBook Airs and am looking at 2 options.

A.) buy the additional AppleCare for $249 and keep the 2011 til November 2014.
B.) buy a refurbed/open box 2012 base 13" MBA and sell the 2011 (I figure my net cost after transactions will be about $150-$170).

She's not a power user by any means, but she really likes the 13" MBA form so its really the only 2 choices that I see. Option B gives her a newer and faster computer and 1 new year of warranty. Option A keeps what she has, but 2 years of warranty.

Which choice do you think is best? Thanks!
__________________
2013 13" Retina MacBook Pro i5 2.4 ME865LL/A | iPad Mini Retina LTE 16GB Space Gray| iPhone 5 64GB Black | Apple TV3
dmk1974 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:49 PM   #2
kylera
macrumors 6502a
 
kylera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Seoul
If you can definitely secure a net transaction of $150, then go for a 2012 model. At the very least, you're getting a new battery.
__________________
Current Macs: 2012 13" MBA | 2011 27" iMac | PowerBook G4 12" | eMac 700Mhz
Current iOS: iPad 4 3G 64GB | iPhone 4S 16GB
kylera is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:19 AM   #3
53x12
macrumors 68000
 
53x12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk1974 View Post
My wife's 13" 2011 MBA base laptop will be 1 year old in 12 days. I think it's a good idea to always have a warranty on these skinny MacBook Airs and am looking at 2 options.

A.) buy the additional AppleCare for $249 and keep the 2011 til November 2014.
B.) buy a refurbed/open box 2012 base 13" MBA and sell the 2011 (I figure my net cost after transactions will be about $150-$170).

She's not a power user by any means, but she really likes the 13" MBA form so its really the only 2 choices that I see. Option B gives her a newer and faster computer and 1 new year of warranty. Option A keeps what she has, but 2 years of warranty.

Which choice do you think is best? Thanks!
Either option works as far as still providing you with a computer that offers you a computer that meets your (wife's) needs. If anything, at this point I would wait for the MBA update next year if you can wait. The Haswell will give you a good bang for the buck in terms of CPU/GPU performance and battery power. I guess you can do that through either option above or maybe your wife isn't interested in that?
53x12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:02 AM   #4
dmk1974
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Thanks for the feedback. Well, I put up her 2011 on Craigslist for $850.00. Hopefully it'll get some hits and sell. I bought an open box 2012 at Best Buy for $930 pre-tax and have 60 days to return it if I change my mind. My wife probably won't notice the difference
__________________
2013 13" Retina MacBook Pro i5 2.4 ME865LL/A | iPad Mini Retina LTE 16GB Space Gray| iPhone 5 64GB Black | Apple TV3
dmk1974 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sell 2010 MBP 15" for 2011 MBA 13" or 2012 MBA 11" Opinions?? eddiexhart MacBook Air 8 Sep 23, 2012 11:51 AM
2011 MBA to 2012 MBA for dual displays (multistream transport adapters) kchase731 MacBook Air 2 Sep 18, 2012 11:40 PM
Buy applecare $200 or sell MBA and buy new version NYRangers11 MacBook Air 7 Jul 20, 2012 01:06 PM
Pop 2011 13" MBA SSD into 2012 MBA unixunderground MacBook Air 3 Jun 25, 2012 07:26 PM
Which to buy? Refurb 2011 MBA or new 2012 MBA? gdog75 MacBook Air 21 Jun 18, 2012 12:02 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC