Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CaleM3

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
I just got the Note 2 yesterday and this thing is a pretty amazing device. There are many features I don't see myself using a lot, but man does it give people variety. I spent the better half of today setting up my phone with a custom launcher, lock screen, a multitude of widgets, and other tweaks. I am running a stock, unrooted, phone at the moment. I surprised myself by getting this actually, I've had every iteration of the iPhone except the iP5 and was looking for some change. I will say that the phone is ever so slightly too big and too slippery, but it isn't a deal breaker or anything. I am going to stick out the Note 2 for about two weeks and make my final decision (Bought off contract from AT&T so 14 day return policy). I will say that over this first day and a half, the battery life is amazing, android offers so many options, and multi-view is freakin awesome!

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
I just got the Note 2 yesterday and this thing is a pretty amazing device. There are many features I don't see myself using a lot, but man does it give people variety. I spent the better half of today setting up my phone with a custom launcher, lock screen, a multitude of widgets, and other tweaks. I am running a stock, unrooted, phone at the moment. I surprised myself by getting this actually, I've had every iteration of the iPhone except the iP5 and was looking for some change. I will say that the phone is ever so slightly too big and too slippery, but it isn't a deal breaker or anything. I am going to stick out the Note 2 for about two weeks and make my final decision (Bought off contract from AT&T so 14 day return policy). I will say that over this first day and a half, the battery life is amazing, android offers so many options, and multi-view is freakin awesome!

Get a case and you wont have to worry about the slippery surface.
If you like it this much after just 1 day, your gonna like it more after a week and it will be painful to go back to an iPhone.
The size will feel normal as well.

CaleM3

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
Get a case and you wont have to worry about the slippery surface.
If you like it this much after just 1 day, your gonna like it more after a week and it will be painful to go back to an iPhone.
The size will feel normal as well.

Agreed, case is on order from Amazon, should be here Wednesday and also ordered a 32 gb micro SD card. I do really enjoy the device, but there are just a few things I have my reservations on. I do notice that the quality of similar apps for iOS are better (mainly the details in the app, resolution etc), I do miss iMessage because most of my family and friends have iPhones (I am tech support lol), and I hate bloatware (but this can be fixed by rooting). Overall I am quite pleased, but there are minor complaints that I have to see if I can live with. This is my first LTE devices, so that is a plus too!

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
Agreed, case is on order from Amazon, should be here Wednesday and also ordered a 32 gb micro SD card. I do really enjoy the device, but there are just a few things I have my reservations on. I do notice that the quality of similar apps for iOS are better (mainly the details in the app, resolution etc), I do miss iMessage because most of my family and friends have iPhones (I am tech support lol), and I hate bloatware (but this can be fixed by rooting). Overall I am quite pleased, but there are minor complaints that I have to see if I can live with. This is my first LTE devices, so that is a plus too!

Yes there are pros and cons to this phone or any other phone for that matter.
It's really about deciding which pros you want and which cons you can live with.
For me and my uses I find the Note II to be perfect and the iPhone a bit antiquated. I was helping my sister the other day do something on her iPhone. It was painful trying do simply attach a photo to an email and how this process has to be repeated for each photo. At that point I realized there is no way in hell I would go back to an iPhone.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Yes there are pros and cons to this phone or any other phone for that matter.
It's really about deciding which pros you want and which cons you can live with.
For me and my uses I find the Note II to be perfect and the iPhone a bit antiquated. I was helping my sister the other day do something on her iPhone. It was painful trying do simply attach a photo to an email and how this process has to be repeated for each photo. At that point I realized there is no way in hell I would go back to an iPhone.

http://www.realtytechtalk.com/profiles/blogs/iphone-tip-attaching-multiple

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
I just wanted to add, is it me or is the Note 2 a really pretty phone? I love the shiny grain on the titanium grey ones, and the design is so clean and simple. :D

Djlild7hina

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
My international galaxy s3 decided to die on me (motherboard problem) so I have to send it back to taiwan (where I bought it) to get it replaced. :( The Note 2 is really appealing and I'm really digging the titanium grey. LTE, faster quad-core, and 2gb of ram is a nice plus compared to the int s3 so tempted on selling mine when I get it replaced and upgrade. But by that time maybe the s4 will come out since idk when i'm ever going to get my s3 back. I remember trying the premium suite on my s3 and the multi-window seemed a little too small for the s3 and more ideal for the note 2.
I've had no problems with avi or mkv with mx player. plays everything I throw at it and plays stylized subs (anime fan) only problem is 1080p 10-bit mkv but no mobile device can really play those yet.

RMXO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2009
Here's an Spen app that changes your handwriting into words when using the SPen. You have to be rooted & have a custom recovery like CWM or TWRP to flash or u can unzipped.

All the credit goes to the Dev that made the app.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2005978&myscript+note

I've had no problems with avi or mkv with mx player. plays everything I throw at it and plays stylized subs (anime fan) only problem is 1080p 10-bit mkv but no mobile device can really play those yet.

For mkv's & more, Dice Player is a good alternative. If u add libffmpeg.so to Dice, it will play all MKV's that other players can't. You can Google to find the file on XDA.

Pop up video player is called Stick It from the Google Playstore

Last edited:

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I have an iP5 personally and an iP4S provided by my employer - while I won't give up my iP5 (too into the ecosystem and I actually love the device) I'm trying (subtly) to get my office to upgrade me to the Note 2.

I'd love to experience these innovative features of Samsung's firsthand ;)

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
For these points specifically:
plug the phone to different itunes a/c will wipe the phone
False, I plug my iphone into my wifes computer to charge all the time.

Your phone will wipe if you sync with a different itunes a/c (whether it is cloud or pc). No such issues with adding multiple google a/c in Android.

- you need itunes to get your data in/out of phone
False, I move data into and out of apps all the time over web. (ie, move a pdf from the web into ibooks, more a document from email into pages, take a document from pages and print or email, etc.)

Your assumption is you use cloud storages. For big files (like video etc) it is just not practical using cloud (waste battery and excessive data consumption)

- reformat the master itunes PC and you are in trouble.
False, I upgraded from a Macbook Air to Macbook Pro this year and I had no issues.

If you don't iCloud (due to various reason like capped data/battery wastage) then what I said is true.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
Your phone will wipe if you sync with a different itunes a/c (whether it is cloud or pc). No such issues with adding multiple google a/c in Android..
You have changed what was said. It was originally said just by plugging in the phone is wiped. I stated that is false, which it is.

Your assumption is you use cloud storages. For big files (like video etc) it is just not practical using cloud (waste battery and excessive data consumption).
Again you changed what was originally said. It was originally stated user data, not media. And I never assumed cloud storage, although that is an option.

If you don't iCloud (due to various reason like capped data/battery wastage) then what I said is true.
No its not. I did not use any cloud storage for the migration between laptops.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
You have changed what was said. It was originally said just by plugging in the phone is wiped. I stated that is false, which it is.
No need to take things so literally. Of course just charging an iPhone won't wipe it anymore than charging it with an a/c adapter will wipe it. I understood him to mean sync.

When it comes to iOS, there is only one partner when it comes to iTunes syncing. While that may or may not be a problem for many, it is not a good thing in my opinion.

Michael

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.