Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chambord

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2012
Hi all,

I came across this picture while reading about North Korea a while back (no politics, please!) I've been a fan of propaganda art for a whole, so I like this piece of art they are holding up in this picture (although I don't like what it stands for.)

I was curious if anyone had a link to the original piece of propaganda art that is featured here? I can't seem to find it.

Thank you

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 128

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Hi all,

I came across this picture while reading about North Korea a while back (no politics, please!) I've been a fan of propaganda art for a whole, so I like this piece of art they are holding up in this picture (although I don't like what it stands for.)

I was curious if anyone had a link to the original piece of propaganda art that is featured here? I can't seem to find it.

Thank you

I find your endeavor of collecting propaganda art to be fascinating. While I'm sorry I can't be of any help in finding the art work pictured, I am curious if this a an hobby, or related to some work you are doing.

If this question somehow takes you into the area of PRSI, or if it's just none of my damn business...just ignore my question.:D

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I found this link here:
http://www.pressherald.com/news/nationworld/north-korea-claims-state-of-war-exists_2013-03-31.html

Where under the image you are directed to Maine Today to purchase a print of this image. Something tells me, or I hope, they wouldn't sell a print of an image they didn't have rights to. Not crediting the photographer is odd so I wonder if you couldn't call their offices and ask. It really depends how much you want to know who took the original image.

It's a neat little treasure hunt for sure, good luck.

chambord

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2012
It's just a hobby :) I love the style of it. I also like the Russsian space propaganda art. In this particular piece, the AK47 looks magnificent (that gun is a work of art in its own right), the colors are so bold, and it gets its message across without having to read Korean. I have several pieces. But I especially love this piece.

What is PRSI? If you mean like PTSD, then no :)

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
It's just a hobby :) I love the style of it. I also like the Russsian space propaganda art. In this particular piece, the AK47 looks magnificent (that gun is a work of art in its own right), the colors are so bold, and it gets its message across without having to read Korean. I have several pieces. But I especially love this piece.

What is PRSI? If you mean like PTSD, then no :)

PRSI is a sub forum here on MR...Politics, Religion, and Social Issues.:D

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Just a suggestion that you might try Google image search - but it might be something of a challenge due to the "picture of a poster" nature of what you're looking for.

Or, do a Google search for "north korean propaganda poster" and take a look at the images it offers up.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Just a suggestion that you might try Google image search - but it might be something of a challenge due to the "picture of a poster" nature of what you're looking for.

I was going to suggest this too. The OP could crop out the people and use google image search to find similar images. It is worth a shot.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I agree that this is an interesting area of study and research. I suspect that a lot of the original inspiration came from state propaganda of the Soviet era in the USSR.

Here, the ironic thing is that immediately after the Revolution in 1917, most of the intelligentsia (including the artistic intelligentsia) sided with the revolutionaries (Tsarist Russia had been a by-word for reactionary attitudes for ages).

Thus, in practice, this meant that early Soviet art was both cutting edge in the sense of modernity and widely known and accessible. It was also necessary as a tool of communication as - in the early days at least - literacy was a problem in the USSR, (a mass education drive addressed some of these deficiencies) and later, in some of the successor states as well, such as Korea, and indeed, earlier on, China. Thus, striking, eye-catching posters, radio and film were all important aids in promoting the message of the revolutionary state.

Artists such as Pen and Chagall and Mayakovsky ran 'schools' - the so-called 'Russkii Avant-Garde' [one such was in Vitebsk, in modern Belarus, the birthplace of Chagall, which I was lucky enough to be able to visit some years ago] in the early Soviet era with the noble aim of 'bringing art to the masses', before times changed, and with it, artistic fashion, which meant that by the 30s, many of the best artists from the early Soviet times had ended up in western Europe or, later still, the US, as they had fallen out of favour with Stalin, whose own taste was conservative and very literal in what he wished art to portray.

This meant that even when it descended into crudest state propaganda, there was a peculiar strength to some of that Soviet art from the Stalinist era - those blocs of solid strong colours, (combinations of black, white and red predominated), striking composition, stark lines. This taste in art and propaganda was exported to countries which were ideologically attracted to the Soviet revolution after WW2 (China and Korea come to mind) with local embellishments and variations in the imported themes, (the old 'Communism With Chinese Characteristics' idea).

Years ago, shortly before the old USSR collapsed, I (bought, in the Hermitage, in what was then Leningrad,) and subsequently read an amazing (and occasionally unintentionally hilarious) book of Soviet propaganda art. Among other things, this showed examples of the art of regional revolutionary regimes which also included their respective depictions of Lenin. Thus, some far eastern variations showed a Lenin with pronounced Asiatic features; some communist African states had a black Lenin, and so on. On that trip, I also bought some large posters and maps - which are now history rather than propaganda, and thus, even more interesting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.