Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jul 19, 2013, 03:59 PM   #1
ryanpfw
macrumors member

Apple TV Audio

Quick question,

In the midst of remodeling and the only TV I have access to to connect my new Apple TV is ten years old and doesn't have an HDMI port. I'm looking to cannibalize existing cords and adapters to hook it up for the next couple of weeks.

Using a DVI to HDMI adapter I have video working, but there's no optical audio port on the TV. I have an optical audio - 3.5mm adapter that plugs onto the end of that optical audio cable. If I use that in conjunction with a $5 3.5mm to RCA adapter from Best Buy, will that let me get audio for the next couple weeks?

Thanks!
ryanpfw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 04:58 PM   #2
waw74
macrumors 68020

if it's just a small plug that just changes the shape of the TOSLINK plug, then no. (you can put optical on a headphone sized plug, like they use on the apple laptops, but it's still optical)

you need something with a power plug, like this.
or the same thing from best buy, but it looks like that is not available.

search for "optical to analog convertor" just make sure to read closely, as you don't want the analog to optical.
waw74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater