Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appkingpin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
Has anyone purchased a Macbook from B&H and had to exchange/return it due to being defective? I was about to pull the trigger on a Macbook Air from B&H, but then I read their return policy:

No Return/Exchange On:

Computers, Software and Hardware once any of the manufacturer's packaging has been opened.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/HelpCenter/ReturnExchange.jsp

So not sure if saving on tax is worth the hassle if the machine I get has issues.

Stiksi

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2007
Macs have a manufacturer's warranty for 1 year that will take care of defects. Or you can buy Applecare and extend it to 3 years. From personal experience and being on the 4th logic board on a 2011 MBP, it's worth it.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
In my experience, B&H is very customer-friendly.

Why don't you send them an email asking whether their no-return policy applies to computers that are non-functional upon arrival? It might be that the no-return applies only to buyer's remorse or "not what I thought it was" kinds of returns.

Or not. But they can and will tell you, and then you'll know.

henryp

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2007
New York, NY
Has anyone purchased a Macbook from B&H and had to exchange/return it due to being defective?

If you get a product that's defective out-of-the-box we'll exchange it for another of the same model. If a defect rears its head a month after you get it, your recourse is the manufacturer's warranty.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
If you get a product that's defective out-of-the-box we'll exchange it for another of the same model. If a defect rears its head a month after you get it, your recourse is the manufacturer's warranty.

You should clarify this in your policies. I've passed you up for years due to the current wording.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
They offer some really great pricing. It probably just isn't feasible to offer that kind of pricing with a return policy comparable to what Apple offers on direct purchases. Apple is peddling their own product through their own stores with the refurbished section available for further recourse. Independent retailers don't have that, but my experience with B+H has been really good. I think in 12 years of using them I had one issue with address verification, and I had trouble getting them to stop sending me catalogs years ago, which was silly as I always ordered from their site (printed stuff went straight to the recycling bin). Most of the time boxes arrive in good shape. Their pricing is excellent. If you have to call them, getting through their call system is reasonably fast.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
2010 15" MBP, EOS T2i, Motu 828MKII and quite a few other gadgets, all bought from B&H. They have great service and great prices.
In fact, the laptop I bought from then was not only cheaper than Apple's price, it came with Parallels 5 (or 6?) free.
The only caveat is that they take the Jewish Sabbath from friday eve till saturday eve, so weekend orders kind of suck. But they do process orders on sunday!

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
I bought my MBA from B&H and I haven't had any issues with it. Plus customer service was great when I contacted them regarding changing my shipping method.

appkingpin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
Thanks everyone - I did contact their support and they did confirm they would do an exchange if the computer is defective in the first 30 days.

Yes, they really need to update their return policy - I imagine some people would just not buy from them from their current wording.

Moshe1010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
Yes. If you contact them right away they will send you a new laptop while you return the current one you got. They won't, however, replace or refund you if you change your mind for your purchase. So if you are in the roulette of LG Vs. Samsung displays, B&H is not the right place to do it.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Ugh I was just about to buy from there and now the one I want is out of stock, even though they had it earlier.

That sucks, anyone know how long they typically take to restock?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.