Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:42 AM   #1
Saxophonedave
macrumors newbie

Macbook chimes on start up but has black screen

My older white Macbook from about 2008 (serial # YD8110ULZ63) does not have a functioning monitor and I could use some help trouble shooting.

When pressing the power button in the top right hand corner to boot the machine up I get the usual chimes sound and the blueish light facing me on the right hand corner of the Macbook keyboard body lights up. The light stays on for a second and sometimes I get a grey screen for a beat, but more often the screen remains black. That same little light on the right corner below the keyboard goes out. If I close the screen (close the clam shell) that same little light comes back and pulses normally.

Some trouble shooting I have done:
I have reset the SMC as well as NVRAM/PRAM.
I booted up my sick Macbook as a Firewire drive and the hard drive showed up as an icon and I was able to access data.
I tried the DVI output on the side of my Macbook to see if I could use an known working external monitor. No signal was detected.

Anyone have any thoughts what my next steps to trouble shoot this problem might be? Or is there a possibility I have given enough information that someone can say what the likely problem is?
Thanks.
Saxophonedave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:04 PM   #2
Rynwar79
macrumors newbie

Think you have a similar issue to me.

Look at my last post

R
Rynwar79 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook