Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
I've been trying to improve Classic mode performance on a Mac Mini.
The issue is pauses, stuttering in some games.

I use a couple of old games to test :
Lode Runner the black and white original and Lemmings

On my G4 Quicksilver they run very well in 9.2 of course.
In 10.1 they also run fine in Classic mode.

I copied the OS 9 folder from the G4 to the mini running 10.4 but always see some stuttering at some point.

The games can be found on macintosh garden, if anyone else has a mini with the original Apple supplied 9 install I'd be interested to hear how it does as I don't have the original discs.

Maybe someone has other suggestions to improve classic mode...

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
I've been trying to improve Classic mode performance on a Mac Mini.
The issue is pauses, stuttering in some games.

I use a couple of old games to test :
Lode Runner the black and white original and Lemmings

On my G4 Quicksilver they run very well in 9.2 of course.
In 10.1 they also run fine in Classic mode.

I copied the OS 9 folder from the G4 to the mini running 10.4 but always see some stuttering at some point.

The games can be found on macintosh garden, if anyone else has a mini with the original Apple supplied 9 install I'd be interested to hear how it does as I don't have the original discs.

Maybe someone has other suggestions to improve classic mode...
OS 9 folder from a 10.4 machine is not the same as a proper Classic install, or so as far as I know..

What GPU does the Mini have? Classic OS doesn't support many functions on some "newer" GPUs.

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
I experienced a similar phenomenon. With 10.2.8 and a native OS 9.1 installation, Classic under 10.2 ran somewhat smooth. Under 10.4 I was forced to use 9.2.2 and it was not as good as 9.1 under 10.2.8.
Also, it seems, as Jethryn said, there are "different" OS 9.2.2s. The MDD-FW800 had another 9.2.2 (with another ROM) than the others. I could imagine that from 2003 on (despite the reissue of the 1,25GHz FW400 in 2003, with native OS 9 support), the Classic only Macs came with the MDD OS 9.2.2.
That doesn't help you, I know, but at least I wanted to let you know, you are not the only one. ;)

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
I experienced a similar phenomenon. With 10.2.8 and a native OS 9.1 installation, Classic under 10.2 ran somewhat smooth. Under 10.4 I was forced to use 9.2.2 and it was not as good as 9.1 under 10.2.8.
Also, it seems, as Jethryn said, there are "different" OS 9.2.2s. The MDD-FW800 had another 9.2.2 (with another ROM) than the others. I could imagine that from 2003 on (despite the reissue of the 1,25GHz FW400 in 2003, with native OS 9 support), the Classic only Macs came with the MDD OS 9.2.2.
That doesn't help you, I know, but at least I wanted to let you know, you are not the only one. ;)

Thanks for the replys.

Your probably right Cox Orange, I may need the correct version.

Jethryn...The Mini uses the Radeon 9200.

Wish I had the original Mac Mini install discs to try its 'custom' classic install.
I dont see why Apple does not make those available for download , as they are of no value to people other than those who own the product.

Anyhow, I've tried a couple ways of getting OS 9 on the mini under Tiger.
One extracting OS 9 from the network version on Apples site, that resulted in a lot of stuttering. The other using my G4 OS9 install, that is better but still has issues.

I'll continue my search for the original discs, maybe someone with a proper mini classic install can comment if it helps...

I'd think the 10.4 G4 based Mini at 1.5GHz should handle classic mode as well as the 10 year old Quicksilver running 10.1?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.