Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joedent7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
So as of lately I have seen that Steam has been having huge holiday sales on their games and I really want to purchase some. However, I do not know what games will work well on my macbook. I am willing to lower graphics settings to make the game run smoother. I am just more concerned about smooth gameplay. Also they don't have to be games from steam any games will do :)

My macbook specs are

Macbook Pro 13"

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

I know it is the base model and not made for games, but I am curious. I also do not run any bootcamp programs. Thank you for the help! :)

Last edited:

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Most older games will run very well, as well as some new.

THe MacBook has a good CPU so it's usually down to the GPU:
Games that have system reqs like ATi 2600 or lower or NVidia 8600 or lower will most likely run very well.

Most mac games will note if it supports Intel HD or not.

There are tons of steam sales, and many will run on your Mac.

If there is some game you want, you can ask here or try googling it.

Joedent7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
Most older games will run very well, as well as some new.

THe MacBook has a good CPU so it's usually down to the GPU:
Games that have system reqs like ATi 2600 or lower or NVidia 8600 or lower will most likely run very well.

Most mac games will note if it supports Intel HD or not.

There are tons of steam sales, and many will run on your Mac.

If there is some game you want, you can ask here or try googling it.

To give an example how about the Portal series and the Left 4 Dead Series.

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
As a matter of fact, Portal 1&2 do not run as well as one would have expected them to.

On my 17" mid 2010 Macbook Pro, Portal 1 runs so so on the highest settings @ 1600x1050, while framerate of Portal 2 dips below 30 often @ 1280x800.

Both games run flawlessly bootcamped, though.

As for Left4Dead, I think it could be playable on your Mac, but some people report sudden, a couple of second long pauses during gameplay. I've played only Left4Dead 2 and do not experience this, so might get lucky, too.;)

Your graphic card is really your only drawback, but you should not experience slow framerate in games like FTL, Limbo, Aztaka, Braid, Lone Survivor, Deponia, Cubemen, Machinarium, Botanicula, Super Hexagon, Castle Crashers and quite possibly even Dear Esther.

Also, any game either on the Mac App Store or Steam that's ported from iOS shouldn't be a problem for your system to handle. All apart from Walking Dead maybe.

ee13lbp

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2012
The walking dead works fine on hd3000. Another thing you could try is Borderlands 1 & 2.

joeysarks

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2011
Detroit
I play WoW and Diablo which work great. Keep it at 30fps and ur fans won't even ramp up that much, specially if u also keep the settings around fair/good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.