Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mogzieee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
They'll keep it going till 23rd October 2011, I reckon. Anniversary event I'm guessing + one of those cheesy white promo videos about the "first 10 years".

Well, we'll see.

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
London ish
Hard drives would not be good AT ALL for an iPod Touch. Apps depend on the instant access that flash memory allows for using data, so a hard drive would slow the whole process up, especially on the processor size.
I agree. I don't think iOS is designed with hard drives in mind anyway. Probably wouldn't work properly.

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Maybe all these rumors of a "squashed iphone 5 mini" are really leaks of the next gen ipod classic? That type of form factor makes more sense considering the way things are headed. Touch screens and all.

^ This is likely. Don't really need a home button when all you use it for is music. I might be thinking of a different leak from what he's referring though, either way...

EDIT: What I find hilarious is the fact that the majority of those naysayers from 2001 probably ate their words and bought an iPod in the end :D

Last edited:

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
I'm listening to my iPod Classic 160gb right now, I bought it after I got a 32gb Iphone 3GS. I just don't like touchscreen for music on the move.

TigerWoodsIV

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
They definitely just need to have an update to 220 GBs that was previously discussed here. Idk what I'd do. The biggest iPod Touch is way too small and way more money.

laserbeam273

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
Australia
Time to buy an ipod, leave it in the box, then sell it in 30 years for $10,000? Try get Jobs to sign it first! How about $100,000?

And the first ipod had firewire?!?!?! What is this! We've downgraded!

brian3451

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2010
2001 Reactions

Reading the reactions to iPod in 2001 were hilarious. It shows how far we've come in our trust of Apple, I'm not speaking as an expert. Now it seems like if Steve Jobs breathes we'll buy it. I am sad to see the iPod go I have 120gb and may have to upgrade before they go. I use every kb of mine.

UNC Heel

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2011
Would absolutely love a higher capacity iPod Classic. While I enjoy having my entire library on my iPod, the issue for me is not the number of songs. It's the quality of the files. I would love to be able to rip at a higher bitrate or even lossless and be able to output those either through headphones or a car stereo. I recognize that the minority are audiophiles. However, there seems to be a push in the industry for higher quality files.

dizzy130

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
I love it

I don't have a classic, but I'd like to associate myself with the people talking about how hilarious the old thread is. Also, here's a repost of Steve introducing the original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN0SVBCJqLs

I was 17 in 2001, senior in high school when iPod was introduced, though I don't think I was even aware of it. I had a friend that year who had some kind of horrible "mp3 player" and the next year when I moved into my college dorm someone on my floor had an iPod so I played with one for the first time. My first one was the light blue first-gen mini which I bought sometime in 2004 (which still works...I gave it to my mother when I replaced it with an iPhone on launch day 2007). When my crappy Dell laptop that had been my high school graduation present died a few months later, the iPod convinced me to get my first Mac.

I hope they don't discontinue the classic just for the nostalgia factor =)

adib

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
Singapore
It's about time for the iPod Super Touch

The iPod touch is quite thin already.. moving some parts around and adding a hard drive in it could make it about as thick as the iPhone but with the capacity of a Mac.. just think of the possibilities..

Reminds me about the Palm LifeDrive.. it's about time a modern device takes it over.

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
The iPod touch is quite thin already.. moving some parts around and adding a hard drive in it could make it about as thick as the iPhone but with the capacity of a Mac.. just think of the possibilities..

Reminds me about the Palm LifeDrive.. it's about time a modern device takes it over.

As a couple stated on this page and I brought up several pages ago, a HDD based touch is something you won't see, based on the HDs latency and speed issues.

radiohed

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
Portland, ME
I really like the idea of a 10th anniversary version of the classic. It is retro enough to represent the first model of the iPod, but is updated enough to hold gobs of music and video. A solid state model that retains the click wheel would be sweet! :D The touch is a great device, but for music, I still prefer a tactile interface. I have a 4G nano, but it only holds a part of my collection. If the drop the classic, I will grab one for sure.

adib

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
Singapore
Hybrid storage iPod?

You're right, a pure HDD may have latency issues. But how about a hybrid one? Seagate XT Hybrid shows some promise in bridging the gap between full mechanical and full flash storage.

As a couple stated on this page and I brought up several pages ago, a HDD based touch is something you won't see, based on the HDs latency and speed issues.

adib

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
Singapore
Non-working iPod

USB will be obsolete by then, nobody can verify whether the iPod is still working or not.

Btw, have you checked the prices of 8" floppy disks lately? The single-density ones.

Time to buy an ipod, leave it in the box, then sell it in 30 years for $10,000? Try get Jobs to sign it first! How about $100,000?

And the first ipod had firewire?!?!?! What is this! We've downgraded!

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
You're right, a pure HDD may have latency issues. But how about a hybrid one? Seagate XT Hybrid shows some promise in bridging the gap between full mechanical and full flash storage.

Note that the XT hybrid is a 2.5" system. A hybrid system for higher capacity 2.5" drives makes sense on a number of fronts. You can't get anywhere near the current 750GB limit for a single platter 2.5" HDD with flash based storage without running into astronomical costs for consumer units.

OTOH, the economics for a 1.8" hybrid system don't make much sense at all. The current TOTL is 220GB, which isn't all that far off in cost from what might be targetable in the next 6-18 months with SSD storage. By the time you've spent the time and money in engineering and developing a technically feasible hybrid system, the market will have already moved past you. Whatever company that would try to develop and sell this would be in a position of selling a solution for a problem that doesn't really exist.

jafd

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2010
Hard drives would not be good AT ALL for an iPod Touch. Apps depend on the instant access that flash memory allows for using data, so a hard drive would slow the whole process up, especially on the processor size.

Have you actually measured it or are you just repeating marketers' tales?

No, "it just ought to be faster" is not the answer.

Until the flash storage is directly accessible by the CPU in the very way RAM is, without the need to read data into RAM, the difference is negligible (think early PocketPC). Besides, add the filesystem layer overhead.

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
London ish
Have you actually measured it or are you just repeating marketers' tales?

No, "it just ought to be faster" is not the answer.

Until the flash storage is directly accessible by the CPU in the very way RAM is, without the need to read data into RAM, the difference is negligible (think early PocketPC). Besides, add the filesystem layer overhead.
You're thinking of a normal hard drive spinning constantly. HDs in low powered devices such as the Classic spin down most of the time to save on battery. A lot of people design their apps without much background threading in mind, and so if you switched to hard disk you'd find a lot of apps would suddenly start freezing when the hard disk was spun down.

I'm holding my hopes out for a 10th Anniversary Special iPod Classic (or touch) with 128/256GB flash storage... Imagine the price though* ;)

*I did spend nearly £400 on a 3rd Gen iPod 40GB though ;)

Last edited:

Davalaus

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2011
South Korea
I like the hardware buttons on the classic because I can press them through my pocket when I am working. When I gave my classic to my sister and used my touch while I was working, it was a pain to have to pull it out of my pocket to change the song or play/pause. I liked the easy volume change buttons on the touch though. But still the touch buttons are too close together and half the tie I restart the song instead of pausing it.

coldpower27

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
Toronto, Canada
I don't have a classic, but I'd like to associate myself with the people talking about how hilarious the old thread is. Also, here's a repost of Steve introducing the original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN0SVBCJqLs

I was 17 in 2001, senior in high school when iPod was introduced, though I don't think I was even aware of it. I had a friend that year who had some kind of horrible "mp3 player" and the next year when I moved into my college dorm someone on my floor had an iPod so I played with one for the first time. My first one was the light blue first-gen mini which I bought sometime in 2004 (which still works...I gave it to my mother when I replaced it with an iPhone on launch day 2007). When my crappy Dell laptop that had been my high school graduation present died a few months later, the iPod convinced me to get my first Mac.

I hope they don't discontinue the classic just for the nostalgia factor =)

My first MP3 player was this thing from the link below 20GB for $100 not bad at the time.. but had the weakness of a HD base drive and so when I did cold weather running the thing would freeze at times...

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/tscc-clearance-20-gb-mp4-player-w-1-8-screen-99-a-496414/

Evnetually I upgraded or well got another MP3 player in July 2008 which was back then a Nokia N95 8GB on a HUP of my line... that was much better as it had speakers and was based on Flash Memory...

October rolls around and I buy a 2nd hand Touch Gen 1 32GB for $280 with a Leather Case much better user interface and much higher capacity... (this is my first iPod)

Next year in September 2009 I get the 64GB Touch Gen 3 for much faster ARM Cortex A8 processors and higher capacity... which is my current MP3 player.. though it also serves as a casual gaming device though...

Somewhere along the way I picked up a Shuffle for running only as it was on sale for $35 or so... very cheap investment.

Didn't upgrade to Touch Gen 4... as the capacity didn't increase...and the CPU speed only marginally improved...plus they only kept 256MB of RAM..probably won't upgrade to Touch Gen 5 as I have an iPad 2 which probably has identical hardware to a Touch Gen 5, I promised myself I won't ugrade my MP3 player till they give a capacity increase to 128GB.. or the hardware inside is improved enough to make it worthwhile..

So yeah I think with my Gen 1 32GB as entry into the Apple World.. over time i have acquired more Apple Devices as I now have:

iPod Shuffle
iPod Touch Gen 1 32GB, Gen 3 64GB
MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2009
White WiFi iPad 2 64GB...

joshyflac

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2013
Is it Worth it for Apple?

I just bought a used 160GB iPod Classic last week. Having my entire music library in my car at all times: Priceless.

I agree entirely. I did the same thing, and can't imagine going back without it. 160gb is big enough for my mp3 collection, however, it is not nearly big enough for my FLAC collection.

At the end of the day, is it worth it for Apple to be producing a piece of equipment like this anymore?

As most people go the more streaming route, I doubt that a 500gb / 1tb hard drive will be cheap enough for mass appeal, and I realy don't think there are that many people like us anymore!

I have my iPod line-out connected to my Fiio E17 USB for headphone amplification, and it is a pretty high-fidelity mobile solution. I love it, but I don't think I'm really helping Apple's bottom line all that much

johnhw

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
The classic will stay, the same way as the Mac Pro is staying right now. They will not kill it, but will give it a new life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.