Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vishu17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2012
New Delhi, IN
So I got a wireless accessory kit for my Wacom pen and touch tablet, it came with a receiver that you're supposed to plug into your computer's usb.

Since the iMac,MBP,MBAs have bluetooth built in, can the tablet be paired like a regular bluetooth device and work without plugging that receiver in?

The problem is that I use my tablet at home and the office, don't want to plug in and out that receiver everyday on the systems at both locations.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Only if that "unknown" Wacom tablet has Bluetooth or a Bluetooth module, otherwise you are stuck.

Which EXACT Wacom tablet do you have then?

vishu17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2012
New Delhi, IN
The tablet is Bamboo Capture Pen and Touch (CTH470)

As I mentioned I got a wireless accessory kit for it, which comes with a battery, bluetooth module and a usb receiver.

Battery and the bluetooth module go inside the tablet, it has built in slots for those, the 'usb receiver' is supposed to be plugged into the pc/mac you want to wirelessly connect your tablet with.

The usb receiver-
MM-11009008-00012_450x400_3_MeMega.jpg

Just to reiterate, I want to connect my tablet to my mac 'without' plugging the usb receiver in it, I consider that as a possibility because the mac has bluetooth built in, so I should ideally be able to just 'pair' my tablet with it.

However, the tablet does not appear in the list of bluetooth devices when I search for it using the Bluetooth setup assistant on my mac. I held the power switch on the tablet to keep it in active mode while scanning for it on the mac.

I hope the explanation above clarifies the question I'm asking.

vishu17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2012
New Delhi, IN
Yes I'm able to connect it via the usb cable.

I was wondering that since now I have the bluetooth accessory installed in my Wacom tablet, can I pair it with my mac using the bluetooth setup assistant and use it wirelessly without having to plug in the bluetooth dongle or the usb cable?

This need has came up since I carry my Wacom tablet daily to work, I don't want to carry the usb cable or bluetooth dongle along with it if possible because most of the time I forget it at home plugged in to my iMac. :p

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
I'd like some input on this too.

Also side note... Have you noticed they changed their entire bamboo lineup to introus models.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Yes I'm able to connect it via the usb cable.

I was wondering that since now I have the bluetooth accessory installed in my Wacom tablet, can I pair it with my mac using the bluetooth setup assistant and use it wirelessly without having to plug in the bluetooth dongle or the usb cable?

This need has came up since I carry my Wacom tablet daily to work, I don't want to carry the usb cable or bluetooth dongle along with it if possible because most of the time I forget it at home plugged in to my iMac. :p

Have you tried it yet?

vishu17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2012
New Delhi, IN
Have you tried it yet?

Yep, I've been trying that since the day I received the wireless accessory kit in the mail.

The tablet just doesn't show up in the discovered bluetooth devices list. I've tried holding the power button on the tablet while scanning for devices, tapping it once, tapping it continuously etc but to no avail. :(

Just to give some more visual reference, here's the bluetooth module from the kit that goes in the slot to the side of the tablet, it has the power button that I'm talking about -

LD0000944817_1.jpg

Nov 28, 2010
located
Yep, I've been trying that since the day I received the wireless accessory kit in the mail.

The tablet just doesn't show up in the discovered bluetooth devices list. I've tried holding the power button on the tablet while scanning for devices, tapping it once, tapping it continuously etc but to no avail. :(

Just to give some more visual reference, here's the bluetooth module from the kit that goes in the slot to the side of the tablet, it has the power button that I'm talking about -

According to Wacom, this has no Bluetooth capabilities.
Wireless Module (INF-A068)

• Dimension : 27.2 x 25.5 x 6 mm

• Weight : 3 g

• Frequency Band : RF 2.4 GHz 1SM

• Nominal communication : 10m

from here

The Amazon link also only has three mentions of Bluetooth.
  • Question if it is Bluetooth capable.
  • Answer, that it is not.
  • Question in review, if it is Bluetooth.

Since Bluetooth probably costs some money to license, Wacom, and many others, stick to their own receivers using that frequency range around 2.4 GHz, therefore you have to live with that in a way.
You could always get a USB hub and if available, an extra receiver.

vishu17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2012
New Delhi, IN
According to Wacom, this has no Bluetooth capabilities.

from here

The Amazon link also only has three mentions of Bluetooth.
  • Question if it is Bluetooth capable.
  • Answer, that it is not.
  • Question in review, if it is Bluetooth.

Since Bluetooth probably costs some money to license, Wacom, and many others, stick to their own receivers using that frequency range around 2.4 GHz, therefore you have to live with that in a way.
You could always get a USB hub and if available, an extra receiver.

Well, that's depressing :(

An extra receiver would solve it for me, but I guess it's not sold separately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.