Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmac11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
Hi,

my Macbook Pro (Mid 2012) automatically turns on/off for a couple of seconds when I remove/plug in the power cable.
It turns on, the fan runs and after 10 sec it puts itself to sleep again. That happens every time when I connect or remove the Magsafe cable.
A friend of mine has a Macbook that doesnt do that.

What can I do that it doesnt switch on anymore when just plug in the cable?

heartm00d

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2011
Germany
This worked for me

MacBook 2009 symptoms:
MacBook switches off with no warning when the power adapter was removed.
MacBook switches off with no warning when booting up with power adapter removed.
After dealing with the problem for almost two years and searching the internet from time to time for several days I still found no solution.
Tried resetting SMC, PRAM, and many things more…

coconutBattery showed my battery in good health, now running fine for about an hour without shutting down, no power adapter connected.

Load Cycles: 84 (I almost never used the MacBook without power adapter and thought it could be the reason for the shutdowns, I never calibrated the battery)

Battery Status : Good
screenshot_2014-11-02_14.26.37.jpg

My solution found by accident today fiddling around with the Energy Saver Preferences Pane/Battery settings. I don't know, if all the changes I made are necessary, or just one changed setting. What I did:
1. Set Computer sleep to "Never"
2. Set Display sleep to "Never" (ignoring the warning for shorter display life)
3. Unchecked "Put hard disk to sleep when possible"
4. Unchecked "Slightly dim the display while on battery power"

screenshot_2014-11-02_14.27.59.jpg

Maybe someone tries all changes separately and finds the real culprit…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.