Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
not to jinx myself, but my iphones have treated me well in the cracking or breaking department. im rough on my phones, and after both an iphone 4 and 4s, theyve held up really well so far.

while doing research on the problems with the razr/razr maxx, i came across a lot of screens cracking after normal wear and tear. i havent looked or held a maxx yet, but the common theme seems to be that the body is abnormally flexible and the slightest flex, from say putting it in your pocket, causes the screen to crack.

while both are really outside of what i want to spend, i was looking up the nexus as well. my main drawback on that, is that the back camera is only 5mp. im a filmmaker, while i have my pro equipment, i dont carry it everday or everywhere. the nexus will do 1080p no problem, buy the stills will be lacking big time for my everyday needs. and imo, the camera in my iphone 4s is fairly nice, especially when paired with almost dslr.

well see what i end up with, as i am going to make the switch (temporarily).

Just a heads up, the nexus is 49.99 on amazon wireless right now. You may wanna jump on that as it is usually much more. Might be for new customers only though. Its still only 149.99 for existing customers.

http://wireless.amazon.com/dp/B0061...9325&creativeASIN=B0061R2A1S,%20rel='nofollow'

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
To use more than that you are either watching netflix or streaming pandora heavily.

I do neither and hit above 2gb

Same goes with many others here in repeated threads.

The old line of "You must be streaming if you are over the limit" line has long been shown as false by so MANY here, including myself, being hit with the "Heavy user" tag when I simply use the phone regularly without streaming movies, etc....

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
different sim card size?

not if you do it before they switch plans this summer. i just chatted with a vzw rep on their website and was told that if i switch now from my iphone 4s to a 4G capable phone, my unlimited 3G data will be transferred as unlimited 4G data. then come iphone lte time, buy your iphone unsubsudized, swap in your 4G sim, sell your 4G phone to recoup some of the iphone price back.

only reason i didnt switch was i didnt know what phone i wanted yet. im leaning towards the droid razr/razr maxx.

are the 4G sim cards microsim? I thought iphones all used microsim now - so if the current 4G sim cards are not microsim, you'd probably have to cut it down in order to get it to fit (which I know can be done).

----------

it makes sense to me that verizon will price the shared plans at the same price as their current data packages:

2GB - $30
5GB - $50
8GB - $80

then add $10 per additional line to share the data. i'd hope they'd be a little more generous and give 4GB for $30 and 8GB for $50, but who are we kidding.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
are the 4G sim cards microsim? I thought iphones all used microsim now - so if the current 4G sim cards are not microsim, you'd probably have to cut it down in order to get it to fit (which I know can be done).

----------

it makes sense to me that verizon will price the shared plans at the same price as their current data packages:

2GB - $30
5GB - $50
8GB - $80

then add $10 per additional line to share the data. i'd hope they'd be a little more generous and give 4GB for $30 and 8GB for $50, but who are we kidding.

The rezound uses a full size sim, the razr and nexus use microsims. As for the rest of them, I don't know off the top of my head.

rgravell

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Just a heads up, the nexus is 49.99 on amazon wireless right now. You may wanna jump on that as it is usually much more. Might be for new customers only though. Its still only 149.99 for existing customers.

thanks for the heads up! i just started a new job, so i had to wait until tomorrow to get the bew phone.

I do neither and hit above 2gb

Same goes with many others here in repeated threads.

The old line of "You must be streaming if you are over the limit" line has long been shown as false by so MANY here, including myself, being hit with the "Heavy user" tag when I simply use the phone regularly without streaming movies, etc....

as i stated, im in the same boat. i generally hit over 5gb without streaming anything or being jailbroken and tethering. im sure dropbox and updating my ap mobile and email constantly dont help. although, this month im way low...only 4gb.

as far as i know, the verizon iphones dont use sims at all.

djharris

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
Virginia, USA
Petition

So, when Bank of America is going to impose a debit card surcharge, (306,894) or VZW is going to impose a surcharge to pay your bill using certain methods, (# of signatures unknown) tons and tons of people sign a petition against such activity. And both resulted in companies changing their proposed practices.

But this has only 290 signatures?

http://www.change.org/petitions/pre...om-killing-grandfathered-unlimited-data-plans

DesertProse

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2012
Depends on the variables

It really depends on how much data you use.

I paid $765 with tax for my Galaxy Note 2, instead of $340-ish. So that's $425-ish more than the subsidized price that would have forced me onto the capped plan.

I currently pay $30/mo for unlimited data. On the new plan it would have been $50/mo for 5 GB. That's $20/mo more for 24 months, or $480.00 Right there I've already come out ahead. But I actually use more like 10GB/month; at $10 more per gig, that's another $50/month on top of the first $50. So, $100/month times 24 months of contract time, that would be $2,400 in data charges (of course I wouldn't pay that, I would just be severely crippled in my usage habits).

In my case, it is far cheaper to cough up $425 more greenbacks up front and continue to use my unlimited data just like Big Red and I agreed that I could back when I signed up. Even if I subscribe to the theory that Verizon will dump me like an ugly prom date the second my contract expires at the end of next year, I am still ahead; I'm not under contract for two years at $100/month to use data like I am in the habit of doing, or $50/month to use it with shackles as I would have to do. I am getting my unlimited data still for $30/month for the next year. If they drop me then I will have gotten my money's worth, and I will sell my beautiful Note 2 and buy its inevitable next generation on the Sprint network if they are still offering unlimited data at that time.

Basically the argument only matters to people like me who use a ton of data, and if you do, paying cash is worth it in the long run. I am getting blazing-fast 4G data everywhere in town; I'm probably going to use more, not less, while it lasts. And when the party's over, okay. It's over. I'll find something else to amuse me. :):cool:

I don't understand the contention that buying at the unsubsidized rate is a workable solution here. If you buy the phone unsubsidized, you still have to pay the same plan rates that pay the carrier back (and then some) for the subsidy, so... a ~$500 premium just to keep your unlimited plan? How does that constitute the best deal for even the top data users?

Is there something wrong with my math?

----------

thanks for the heads up! i just started a new job, so i had to wait until tomorrow to get the bew phone.

as i stated, im in the same boat. i generally hit over 5gb without streaming anything or being jailbroken and tethering. im sure dropbox and updating my ap mobile and email constantly dont help. although, this month im way low...only 4gb.

as far as i know, the verizon iphones dont use sims at all.

Actually, the Verizon iPhones 4s and 5 do have sim cards; the 4s has a sim card for international use (look carefully; there's a slot for it on the side) and the 5 has a sim card for 4g LTE use. I think they lock it so you can't change the sim card (I heard something like that), but they do have them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.