Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

affluxashish

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2012
Sure did! Several times! :confused:

Go to system settings and check if USB debugging is checked. If its not selected, check it and try the entire root process again.

----------

Hi! Ok, Windows 8 installed (finally a reason to install this on my iMac - mixed feelings haha). I followed the instructions in the xda link to the letter, and this is what I get from Odin when I load the cf-root as PDA:

<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> CF-Auto-Root-m0-m0xx-gti9300.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 0

The phone doesn't reboot, but stays in download mode. Any ideas?

As I can see from the log, rooting did not succeed. Succeed 0/failed 0. Try flashing it again after turning USB debugging on.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Go to system settings and check if USB debugging is checked. If its not selected, check it and try the entire root process again.

----------

As I can see from the log, rooting did not succeed. Succeed 0/failed 0. Try flashing it again after turning USB debugging on.

Where do I turn on USB debugging? In Windows somewhere or on the phone?
Thanks!

Edit: Installed Kies again and ran it all over. Now have this:

<ID:0/003> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> CF-Auto-Root-m0-m0xx-gti9300.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/003> recovery.img
<ID:0/003> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/003> cache.img
<ID:0/003> RQT_CLOSE !!
<ID:0/003> RES OK !!
<ID:0/003> Completed..
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)

And the phone rebooted.

Is that it done?

affluxashish

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2012
Where do I turn on USB debugging? In Windows somewhere or on the phone?
Thanks!

Edit: Installed Kies again and ran it all over. Now have this:

And the phone rebooted.

Is that it done?

Yes that should be it. Do you see an app called SuperSU installed in your phone? If so then you are rooted. To test if root is working fine you can try installing any app that requires root access.

Last edited:

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Yes that should be it. Do you see an app called SuperSU installed in your phone? If so then you are rooted. To test if root is working fine you can try installing any app that requires root access.

Thanks for all of your help. That seems to be me up and running with the root. I've just paid the network to unlock it to make sure it is permanent and it only cost £15.

Final questions:

I'd like to reset the phone to factory condition before sending it. Will that remove the root?

When the phone boots up and shuts down, I get a Three network animation. Is there anyway to remove this?

Many thanks!

affluxashish

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2012
Thanks for all of your help. That seems to be me up and running with the root. I've just paid the network to unlock it to make sure it is permanent and it only cost £15.

Final questions:

I'd like to reset the phone to factory condition before sending it. Will that remove the root?

When the phone boots up and shuts down, I get a Three network animation. Is there anyway to remove this?

Many thanks!

Factory reseting the phone from settings will not remove root from your GS3.

Yes you can remove the network animation by flashing a stock unbranded ROM on your handset using Odin. There might be other ways too to change the splash screen but you might need to search for those.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Factory reseting the phone from settings will not remove root from your GS3.

Yes you can remove the network animation by flashing a stock unbranded ROM on your handset using Odin. There might be other ways too to change the splash screen but you might need to search for those.

Thanks for clarifying.

I'll look into getting a stock rom downloaded to replace the current one and then reapply the root.

David

Audiomajik

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2008
Okay, I'm somewhat of an android novice. Explain it to me like I'm a kid, please.
I have: 2010 MBP, Galaxy S3 Sprint model: SPH-L710 (U.S. version), OS: 4.1.1.
Is there any way I can root my phone on my mac with relative ease or do I need to wait or borrow a windoze machine?

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Okay, I'm somewhat of an android novice. Explain it to me like I'm a kid, please.
I have: 2010 MBP, Galaxy S3 Sprint model: SPH-L710 (U.S. version), OS: 4.1.1.
Is there any way I can root my phone on my mac with relative ease or do I need to wait or borrow a windoze machine?

There are specific instructions to root your version of the Galaxy S3 at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1963812

And yes, you need a Windows PC to do it since that is what most XDA Developers use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.