Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to a photo posted on Twitter (via ifoAppleStore), Apple seems to be building a retail store in the center of Shanghai's new IAPM mall. The store, which appears to be two stories high as it undergoes construction, is blocked off by a gray barricade that sports the Apple logo and the URL which directs Apple's China retail website. The mall in which the store is located opened two weeks ago, and is connected to high-rise apartments and business offices, both of which have yet to open.

iPAM_apple_retail-800x597.jpg
Visitors to the new upscale iAPM shopping mall in Shanghai (China) have noticed a surprise future tenant--a two-level Apple retail store. The six-level mall held a soft opening two weeks ago, but several tenants are still outfitting their stores, including Apple. Construction is underway behind an unusual gray-painted barricade that is 60-feet wide, with a white Apple logo and Web address. The mall is connected to high-rise residence and office towers, and features operating hours as late as 11 p.m. The project also includes an IMAX theater, high-end grocery store, entertainment venues and restaurants. The store is about one mile west of the existing Hong Kong Plaza store, with two other stores further east in city center. The timeline for the store's grand opening isn't known, but it will eventually be the fourth location for the city.
Apple has several retail stores in Shanghai, starting with one in the Pudong district in 2010, another on Shanghai's famous Nanjing Road in 2011, and a retail store located in the Hong Kong Plaza.

The construction of the store comes as Apple is scheduled to hold a media event in Bejing tomorrow following an official media event at its headquarters, where the company is expected to announce the next-generation iPhone 5S and the low-cost iPhone 5C, the latter of which may deliver a huge boost in China. China Mobile, the world's biggest carrier, is said to be scheduled to receive shipments of the iPhone 5C, although details on a launch announcement for the carrier remain unclear.

Article Link: Apple to Open Two-Story Retail Store in Shanghai's New IAPM Mall

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Most of the stores in my area aren't as exciting as the glass enclosed stores in newyork or china :/ I wish they would buy the House of Versace and turn it into an Apple store.

Clacky

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2013
I'm excited to see which stories they go for. The Harry Potter series is always popular but maybe 50 Shades would be more female friendly. Either way, it's an exciting new sales strategy. Go Apple!

ZildjianLudwig

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
No. One. Care.

Please, MacRumors, find some way to let the RSS subscribers filter out the "new store in Nowheristan" posts.

It seriously feels like a completely separate category of "news." (And is certainly not a "rumor.")

Koulie

macrumors regular
May 19, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
iPhone 5China

It is targeted to that market so blatantly - cheap & colorful.

In before Tim announces at WWDC 2014 iPhone 5C thrones China's mobile market share for the previous 3 quarters.

Anyhow, I'm sure it will be very effective in other markets as well.

EricByer

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2012
Is is 'iPAM' or 'iAPM'? The authors text says 'iPAM' while the quoted text says 'iAPM'.

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
It is targeted to that market so blatantly - cheap & colorful.

Isn't it this attitude that made people look so foolish just before the iPad launch? "It's just a giant iPhone!" "This is stupid, no one will use it."

Why not wait until you try it before you bash it?

maxwelltech

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Irvine, CA, USA
I have been to that mall just two weeks ago. It is a great place to put an Apple Store at with all the other high-end brands in place (Coach, LV, etc.).

Ballis

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2008
Oslo, Norway
Yup. Or more inland. There's a mall called Dolphin Mall that would be a great place for an apple store. Not sure why they haven't put one in yet.

Well I dont know why you would want stores like new york or china when you have that cool art deco one you guys have on Lincoln. But I do agree the Versace house would be cool.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Well I dont know why you would want stores like new york or china when you have that cool art deco one you guys have on Lincoln. But I do agree the Versace house would be cool.

I guess it's just the glass. I love the new pavilion store Tim spoke about the iPhone event.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.