Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Nov 18, 2013, 03:51 PM   #51
VKB
macrumors newbie

identifying Duplicates

I find it amazing (~ly disappointing) that Aperture doesn't identify duplicates. Even the simplest built-in programs identify dups, it's like downloading Excel and finding it doesn't divide.

Having to download another program to cope with the shortcomings of the so-called ultimate program you just downloaded is ridiculous. Come on Aperture, just fix it!
VKB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2013, 07:32 PM   #52
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKB View Post
I find it amazing (~ly disappointing) that Aperture doesn't identify duplicates. Even the simplest built-in programs identify dups, it's like downloading Excel and finding it doesn't divide.

Having to download another program to cope with the shortcomings of the so-called ultimate program you just downloaded is ridiculous. Come on Aperture, just fix it!
Just another example of how Aperture is severely outdated, despite it gets frequent updates.

Website, Pictures & Tweets
Razeus is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2013, 02:40 AM   #53
Zeiss
macrumors member

Aperture has 2 major flaws - it doesn't use dng profiles and it doesn't have database lens corrections. These 2 reasons were enough for me to switch to Lr4 and now 5...

Maybe A4 will bring this in, but I ain't going back. Pro photographers use Lr5 for these reasons.
Zeiss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2013, 04:55 AM   #54
swordio777
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeiss View Post
Pro photographers use Lr5 for these reasons.
Sorry, no offence, but this is a ridiculous thing to say. It may be true that YOU use Lr5 for these reasons, but any pro worth his salt will use the right tool for the job. For some this might be Lightroom, for others maybe Aperture, and for others still it might be something completely different.

Be under no illusion - Lightroom is aimed squarely at AMATEURS, not professionals (so is Aperture, I'm not taking sides here). You've got to remember that professionals make up a tiny percentage of the photography market. If Adobe or Apple really did make a programme designed specifically for professionals, nobody would buy it.

They're not making the software so the planet's standard of photography goes up - they're doing it to make money. And the real money is in the amateurs / enthusiats / general public, because they make up 99.9% of the photographic community.

Both tools are good, but both are also extremely limited.

All the best.
swordio777 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2013, 06:18 AM   #55
Mike in Kansas
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKB View Post

Aperture identifies duplicates prior to importing, not after you've imported.
Left Nikon for Fuji X-E1, Fujinon 18-55mm OIS, 55-200mm OIS, 27mm f/2.8
Mike in Kansas is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography