Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

86nji

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
Hi all,

I have just tethered my 4S to my MacBookPro at first it would only drop connection once or twice a day now it is every 10 minutes!

I do not wish to USB tether my iP4S as I do not wish to charge it for days on end without stopping.

Any solutions?

Last edited:

86nji

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
Try bluetooth if you haven't already..

Personal Hotspot has always been flakey and I found this especially on the 4S.

Funny my MBP's preference was bt connection but I changed it to wifi, so to clarify, wifi tether- near useless, USB tether- overcharges your iPhone, so bt tether is the only remaining option, there are 3 options on the tether screen and only one really works!

Thankyou buddy for the advice I will do that from now on!

(I did know about the bt tether but posted to see if this issue can be overcome)

86nji

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
Bump, any help on this, now dropping bt AND wifi tethers!

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
Do you lock your phone when tethered? I find if I keep it on, the connection maintains but a minute or two after it's locked it will crap out.

Overall, I wouldn't rely on Personal Hotspot too much. It's a bit of annoyance. But going out every 10 mins a bit much.

86nji

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
Do you lock your phone when tethered? I find if I keep it on, the connection maintains but a minute or two after it's locked it will crap out.

Overall, I wouldn't rely on Personal Hotspot too much. It's a bit of annoyance. But going out every 10 mins a bit much.

tbh I think its an apple hotspot you can't rely on b/c I have hotspoted android (sgs2) with none of these issues, yes it auto locks but if you leave it unlocked it canes the battery what a joke $4000 on apple products and this is what you get!

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
tbh I think its an apple hotspot you can't rely on b/c I have hotspoted android (sgs2) with none of these issues, yes it auto locks but if you leave it unlocked it canes the battery what a joke $4000 on apple products and this is what you get!

You're right.. it's not something Apple has perfected. Maybe it's better on some Androids but I've heard of similar issues.

I should mention that I've found that if I'm using tethered data consistently, such as when streaming a video or audio, the connection will stay strong even when the phone is locked but as soon as there is a short break in data throughput, the tether will drop.

For the little time I use it, it works for me but if it's a feature you constantly use I can see why it's frustrating.

I'd try a restore if anything.

Sirolway

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
London
I have to restart my iPhone before tethering will work

I WiFi tether from an i4s on iOS6 to a 2009 13" MBP.
It's been fine for a few years, but recently (after iOS6 upgrade?) I've found I usually have to restart the phone before tethering will work.

If other things go wrong with the phone I'll clean restore it, but in the meantime I'm just going to live with this annoyance. I might try BT tether to see if that's any better ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.