Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikezang

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Tokyo, Japan
I want to create a univeral app, use split view controller in iPad, but in iPhone, I don't want to use Navigation controller, instead I want to use a popover to popup master view controller, like in portrait mode of iPad.

Is this possible? Please give some suggestion, thanks a lot.

mikezang

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Tokyo, Japan
Should your thread title be "UIPopoverController on iPhone" then?
Yeah, my title is not exact, but I am using popover in iPhone, that is not what I want to know.

As you know SplitView controller can be config to use popover both landscape and portrait mode, I want to this can be used in iPhone, a special SplitView controller for iPhone.

PhoneyDeveloper

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2008
Neither UISplitViewController or UIPopoverController are available on the phone.

You could possibly build your own popover that contained a view controller but didn't take up the entire screen. You might want to look at the View Controller containment APIs to implement this in a compatible way.

I haven't done this and I doubt that it's simple.

mikezang

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Tokyo, Japan
I got idea, I have to create a custom container view controller that has two view controllers, but the master view controller should keep hide and show in a popover when on iPhone device.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
If your happy with 3rd party UIContainers why not go straight to one of Splitview like containers that work with iPhone. There are few about that are open source based on Tweeter or Facebook?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.