Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bemidjiboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2013
Hey gang,

Just ordered a new, 27" Fusion. I decided not to go with the Time Capsule, but with Airport Extreme instead. Two large functions in one package makes me nervous... So, I'll need a Thunderbolt backup drive now. My computer will have 1TB and I'll be doing some home video and stuff, but don't expect to max it out. What advice do you have for a backup (Time Machine) drive to go along with it? Thanks!

Nov 28, 2010
located
For a simple backup drive, a USB 3.0 drive will be sufficient enough and much cheaper than a TB HDD.

As for what HDD, look at WD or Seagate or WD for good drives.

As for backing up, depending on the worth of your data:
I have one 500 GB HDD for my photographs (digital and analog) libraries and editing documents, one 500 GB HDD with my personal video footage in an editing friendly format.
Both 500 GB HDDs get backed up to one 1 TB HDD via CarbonCopyCloner.
And that 1 TB HDD gets backed up to another 1 TB HDD via CarbonCopyCloner.
Therefore I have three copies of my important data.

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
If you have or plan to have more than one computer, you might consider a NAS for backup and central storage. If you only need a single computer, get 2 backup drives and cycle them for offsite backup if you have anything worth preserving. You wouldn't want to lose both the computer and only backup to a fire or theft.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.