Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:43 PM   #26
formulatwo
macrumors member

It would be interesting to see a graph showing the traffic on macrumors.com after the announcement to launch day.

It's got to be high too.
formulatwo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 05:36 PM   #27
2 Replies
macrumors regular

Some iDiots will no doubt believe that the spike is indicative of some dramatic increase in the user-base...
rather than a failure on Apple's part to performance test their store app and/or scale their back-end service.
2 Replies is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:00 PM   #28
SouthsideJohnny
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me View Post
What causes that little spike at 5am?
A bunch of alarm clocks going off all at once.
SouthsideJohnny is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:20 PM   #29
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
So... all of this traffic was heading straight for the updates, so us app developers shouldn't get our hopes up about tons of sales or anything?

Oh, I guess this is yesterday we're talking about so I can look for myself how sales were...

they appear totally non-affected. There's a 0% change between last Wednesday and this Wednesday in nearly every category. (I had 16 updates yesterday for Battery Status vs. 12 for last Wednesday. That's the only change I see.)
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:36 PM   #30
Technarchy
macrumors 601

I had my iPad 3 and iPhone 4S updated within 15 minutes of iOS6 going life.

It was easy, and fast. No drama...All the app updates were fast too.

No waiting 6 months to a year or never for fruitcake butter flavor pie.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:04 PM   #31
drobone
macrumors newbie

Anyone noticed shorter battery life on their iPhone 4S?
drobone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:47 PM   #32
Essex711
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to Essex711
Data Tracking App

Can you please let me know the data tracking app that you are using? Keep going over my data plan and I want to know where I am using so much data. Thanks for your help!

---------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mac Maniac View Post
I've been using a data tracking app for the last couple months. One thing I've been surprised by is how all through the night my iPhone is constantly using not only WiFi but also cellular data. And there are highs and lows. Here was last night (central time). I've removed the apps (mail, pulse news, and skype all ping all night long) to leave you with iOS related things.

2am
OS Services- 19kb (WiFi)
DataAccess- 17kb (cellular)
Apple push service- 1kb- (cellular)
OS services- 0.8kb (cellular)

3am
OS Services- 51kb (wifi)
DataAccess- 18kb (wifi)
DataAccess- 16kb (cellular)
OS Services- 2kb (cellular)
apple push service- 0.8kb (cellular)

4am
OS Services- 77kb (wifi)
Data Access 24kb (cellular)
apple push service- 1kb (cellular)

5am
OS Services- 54kb (wifi)
dataAccess- 18kb (wifi)
DataAccess- 19kb (cellular)
apple push service- 0.8kb (cellular)

6am
OS Services- 59kb (wifi)
Synched defaults- 6kb (wifi)
DataAccess- 25kb (cellular)
OS Services- 8kb (cellular)
Apple push service- 0.8kb (cellular)

Sure enough there seems to be a spike in "OS Services" at 4am (5am eastern). I'm guessing thats a time apple picked to push out more stuff. Probably because they figure most everyone will be sleeping (2am-5am across the US)

----------

Personally have had a lot of issues with this App bogging down my phone. But you can try your luck. GPS Plus is a good one.

QUOTE=RobDee;15773526]Thanks, I will.

If it works well I might get rid of TomTom.[/QUOTE]
Essex711 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:37 AM   #33
Rocketman
macrumors 603

Mine started the update automagically (one wonders if Apple staggers these to smooth server usage), but required a password to proceed (to disable my maps functionality) so I am thinking not all folks were right on top of that approval.

Then once the nut was downloaded, another process required approval to TOS for install which probably also checked in with the mothership.

Mine did it via wifi.

Rocketman
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:05 AM   #34
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex711 View Post
Can you please let me know the data tracking app that you are using? Keep going over my data plan and I want to know where I am using so much data. Thanks for your help!
I use "My data manager" and it is absolutely fantastic! Best of all, I got it for 100% free!

It has 6 "pages" of information. Each comparing you data in all kinds of different ways like locations, time, app, wifi, cellular, all in any user determined period of time. Honestly It breaks out every possible way to show usage. The only negative is it DOES require location services in the background (this allows it to track data consumption by app) so it drains battery relatively quickly. Although, I've been using this for a couple months and most days I don't get close to my battery dying. But there are still a good number of days (25%?) that I need to either charge a bit, or make a conscious effort to reduce iPhone use.

Now here's the bad news (which I probably should have led with). I've tried searching for the app, and now I can't find it on the app store... I don't know what happened. The app is by mobidia.
Apple TV owner since 2012 | Apple Watch owner since 2016 (anticipated)
Mad Mac Maniac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 02:10 AM   #35
thasan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by markieg View Post
it's a shame that the 7 fold increase of people were disappointed with apple maps too....
i know its a ***** piece of app (working well for me so far!!!) but not everyone uses maps

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
I had my iPad 3 and iPhone 4S updated within 15 minutes of iOS6 going life.

It was easy, and fast. No drama...All the app updates were fast too.

No waiting 6 months to a year or never for fruitcake butter flavor pie.
exactly! im happy with the OS6 actually. nothing to WOW about but i really like the quality of panorama, the vip feature in mails is kind of nice...maps, though look pretty at times, is a big big disappointment.. but that is not a major issue for me as google maps will come out soon. i will switch to maps in 6 yrs time when (and IF) they catch up with google maps...lol

moving back to topic..i updated os x, 4s and ipad2 all at the same time. and it was near perfect, iPad taking a long time to download the last 2-3%.
thasan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:29 PM   #36
lwapps
macrumors regular

Let the cash roll in for app developers!!
lwapps is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:37 PM   #37
Essex711
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to Essex711
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mac Maniac View Post
I use "My data manager" and it is absolutely fantastic! Best of all, I got it for 100% free!

It has 6 "pages" of information. Each comparing you data in all kinds of different ways like locations, time, app, wifi, cellular, all in any user determined period of time. Honestly It breaks out every possible way to show usage. The only negative is it DOES require location services in the background (this allows it to track data consumption by app) so it drains battery relatively quickly. Although, I've been using this for a couple months and most days I don't get close to my battery dying. But there are still a good number of days (25%?) that I need to either charge a bit, or make a conscious effort to reduce iPhone use.

Now here's the bad news (which I probably should have led with). I've tried searching for the app, and now I can't find it on the app store... I don't know what happened. The app is by mobidia.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/my-d...477865384?mt=8

Essex711 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion