Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AreYouIn?

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Sorry if this has been asked before but I googled and searched the forums and haven't been able to find this question.

When I try to wireless sync my phone to my itunes it kills the wifi. It still shows that the phone is syncing, though taking forever. No other device in the house can load a webpage though. It kills everything until I go reset the router and cable modem. The same thing goes for streaming music from my computer to my apple tv through home sharing. It kills everything but the music still streams just fine.

Is there some setting I have off in my computer or something? Any help would be much appreciated. I just updated to mountain lion last night but this was happening with lion and snow leopard before as well. I have a mid 2010 13 inch macbook pro. Time Warner is my internet provider.

BanterClaus

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
UK
You could try creating an ad-hoc WiFi network.

If you're using your Mac with an ethernet cable then follow this guide: http://www.techloban.com/how-to-share-your-macbook-pros-internet-connection-via-airport/gadgets/laptops

OR

If you aren't then you could create a ad-hoc network anyway but your devices won't be able to connect to the internet if they want to stream but this technique may be useful as it should stop the rest of the network being killed by the streaming.

Click the WiFi symbol on your Mac and hit create network. Then when you want to stream just connect your devices to this mini network and your main network should be uninterrupted.

If you're on Windows; sorry I have no idea.

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Sorry if this has been asked before but I googled and searched the forums and haven't been able to find this question.

When I try to wireless sync my phone to my itunes it kills the wifi. It still shows that the phone is syncing, though taking forever. No other device in the house can load a webpage though. It kills everything until I go reset the router and cable modem. The same thing goes for streaming music from my computer to my apple tv through home sharing. It kills everything but the music still streams just fine.

Is there some setting I have off in my computer or something? Any help would be much appreciated. I just updated to mountain lion last night but this was happening with lion and snow leopard before as well. I have a mid 2010 13 inch macbook pro. Time Warner is my internet provider.

what kind of wireless router are you using?

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
That is your problem. You need a faster router. Get a dual band wireless n router ASAP! It will solve your streaming issues for less than 100$. (And speed up everything else too!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.