Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mark12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
Hello All,

My 2011 MacBook Air is dead. I left the MBA sitting in the passenger seat of my truck and a bottle of Armor All leaked onto my vinyl seat and pooled around the MBA. It looks like quite a bit of liquid entered through the hinge/vent area because it is still dripping out. I don't think the bag of rice trick will be effective here. It will not power on. I cannot open up the unibody because I lost my pentalobe screwdriver. So where do I go from here? Should I go straight to the genius bar? If the SSD is not damaged can I remove it and save the data? You guys are experts. Please let me know.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
If you can take it apart it is possible to remove the SSD. If you buy an enclosure for the SSD you should be able to copy your files to another computer.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
R.I.P.

Unless u have one of those insurance thing like FourSquare. Or u bought it with an Amex or a Premium CC which has an accidental coverage on it.

Sell it on eBay, there are always people that think they can fix anything.

ScottJ

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2011
SoCal
I don't know if I'd give up on the MBA so quickly, since I'm not exactly sure what's IN the Armor All Dashboard Cleaner. I'd imagine it'd have some silicone products in it, maybe some alcohol, maybe some water. If it were me, I'd try letting it drain unmolested for a week or so in a bed of rice.

jbzcar

macrumors regular
May 11, 2012
I don't know if I'd give up on the MBA so quickly, since I'm not exactly sure what's IN the Armor All Dashboard Cleaner. I'd imagine it'd have some silicone products in it, maybe some alcohol, maybe some water. If it were me, I'd try letting it drain unmolested for a week or so in a bed of rice.
According to the patent literature, ArmorAll typically contains water, PDMS*, diethylene glycol, glycerin, and various other chemical compounds.

*Polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) belongs to a group of polymeric organosilicon compounds that are commonly referred to as silicones. PDMS is the most widely used silicon-based organic polymer, and is particularly known for its unusual rheological (or flow) properties. PDMS is optically clear, and, in general, is considered to be inert, non-toxic and non-flammable.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Basically If you made a list of things that it would be bad to soak a Macbook Air in, you would probably come up with the formula for ArmorAll.

0x000000

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2011
You can take out the SSD, just the back panel needs removing and a screw that holds it in place. Pull it out and get an enclosure from OWC. They have one specially designed for the connector on the MBA's SSD.

Only if the SSD is not affected but it probably is. I really hope you have a time machine backup :confused:

shakeman0

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2009
Armor All sounds pretty bad... I don't know if rice would really be able to absorb it very well. I think you're best shot is to try and open the case and clean it out. I'm pretty sure Armor All is actually designed to not dry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.