Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
It seems fine. The other one had quite a few scuffs on the anodized metal so I bought a case at the Apple store so it doesn't happen again.

Nice one.

I hope it remains problem free so you can get on and enjoy it ;)

Talking of cases, I got a Sena Ultra Slim for mine ... it's a very compact sleeve.

I had the same case for my 4S which I bought from the Apple store, but they don't stock the iPhone 5 version yet so I bought it from another online store here in the UK.

Must be great to live where these things are imagined and designed ...

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
So I received the replacement today ... and this one is worse!

Upon thoroughly checking the screen (using the YouTube "dead pixel text" video) it is apparent that there is a feint scratch in the actual LCD panel, going from bottom left corner to top right corner. About and inch and a half long ...

I KNEW I should have kept the last one! But then again, why should I have to "accept the odd defect" with a £699 phone?

I really don't want to get into the exchange game so I'm thinking of getting the next replacement then just selling it, without even opening the box. I am at that stage with Apple ... completely lost faith in their QC (with good reason).

Maybe now really is time for me to wipe my mouth and go elsewhere for my tech ...

ToyGun1

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2012
So I received the replacement today ... and this one is worse!

Upon thoroughly checking the screen (using the YouTube "dead pixel text" video) it is apparent that there is a feint scratch in the actual LCD panel, going from bottom left corner to top right corner. About and inch and a half long ...

I KNEW I should have kept the last one! But then again, why should I have to "accept the odd defect" with a £699 phone?

I really don't want to get into the exchange game so I'm thinking of getting the next replacement then just selling it, without even opening the box. I am at that stage with Apple ... completely lost faith in their QC (with good reason).

Maybe now really is time for me to wipe my mouth and go elsewhere for my tech ...

Lol dude I am having the same issues with my too up to my 9 iPhone each one i recieved seems to have dead/stuck pixels. (Going to sell this phone and hold out to Feb 2013 to repurchase.)

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
Lol dude I am having the same issues with my too up to my 9 iPhone each one i recieved seems to have dead/stuck pixels. (Going to sell this phone and hold out to Feb 2013 to repurchase.)

9th iPhone 5??

Well at least I'm not the only one!

The is number 2 and I can't be asked to get into the exchange game ...

I'm going to see if Apple will credit my account with the value, and get something else instead. Do you know if they can do that?

Even if I was to get a perfect one after a few exchanges, the buzz has been completely drained for me .

I'd rather get a Galaxy Note II, instead.

Failing that, I'll go down the route of not opening the next one and selling it on eBay minus 50 quid off the retail price. There is still a 3 week wait so someone will bite my arm off ...

My eyes are razor sharp and I expect perfection, so I don't think the iPhone is for me, what with Apple's joke QC.

It's a shame, but it's simply the way it is ...

macjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2011
Nashville, TN
Apple's terrible QC lately will be causing me to switch after being an iPhone customer since the first iPhone. I'm on my 4th iPhone 5. This one has dust under the screen and a dead pixel. It's by a long shot the best I've had so far, but it's been such a hassle that I hate even looking at the thing.

As soon as I can update, I'll probably be going to the HTC DNA.

I've had QC issues with iPads as well. I had an iPad 2, which was great. Went through number iPad 3's and gave up. I opted for a Nexus 7, which might not have as much 'cool' factor, but I'm happy with it, which is far more than I can say for the 'new' iPad.

I honestly don't even much care for Android, I just can't handle the hardware quality Apple is putting out. I've been an avid Mac user for 10+ years and have had a ton of Apple gadgets, but I think I'll just stick with their computers now.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Seeing the title of this thread reminds me of just how good and dust resistant iPhones are.

Having owned every one since the beginning, and buying at least another 15 for my family over the years, there's not been one that has allowed dust into the display.

And believe me I would hear about it if was an issue.

I'm not suggesting that it's not possible, I'm simply sharing my experience and acknowledging what a terrific job Apple does in this area. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.