Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

higgibaby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
I just unboxed and unwrapped my new 27" iMac with fusion drive, 2gb graphics...the lot, and the screen is dead! All I see is a faint ghost image of the start up sequence where you enter your language and such! Help...anyone else out there have this issue? I have never had this issue with any Apple products before...

Turned off and on 3 times now and same issue...

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
I just unboxed and unwrapped my new 27" iMac with fusion drive, 2gb graphics...the lot, and the screen is dead! All I see is a faint ghost image of the start up sequence where you enter your language and such! Help...anyone else out there have this issue? I have never had this issue with any Apple products before...

turn up the brightness with the apple keyboard?

atteligibility

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012

that sucks, you live close to an Apple store?

you removed all plastics and covers from the screen?

higgibaby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
turn up the brightness with the apple keyboard?

Turned it up, I can barely see the little sun, but its a dud!

----------

that sucks, you live close to an Apple store?

you removed all plastics and covers from the screen?

I removed everything, all very carefully...I live about an hour away, thing is I needed this to work, now I have no idea how long I will have to wait for a replacement!

atteligibility

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
Turned it up, I can barely see the little sun, but its a dud!

----------

I removed everything, all very carefully...I live about an hour away, thing is I needed this to work, now I have no idea how long I will have to wait for a replacement!

doesn't sound like you can do anything but have it replaced, you may want to explain your situation at the store and ask for a temporary machine...

higgibaby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012

EPiCDiNGO

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2012
I just tried that, no success :(

----------

Do they give temporary machines? I could be waiting until the end of Jan for a new one...

They may be able to give u a 2011 iMac or a RETINA Macbook Pro to put u on until the replacement arrives :) :apple: I really hope you can get this sorted ASAP. Good luck..... :apple:

atteligibility

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
I just tried that, no success :(

----------

Do they give temporary machines? I could be waiting until the end of Jan for a new one...

If you talk to the right person, they will fix your situation one way or another. Your problem is obvious and we're not just talking about a dead pixel or something like that. It may play in your favor if they happen to have something in store that is slightly better than what you ordered...
Play nice and disappointed (which you are, so shouldn't be too difficult), no cursing and threatening, and somebody should fix the situation for you.

higgibaby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Seems like a backlight issue, might be as simple as a loose connector and might even be repaired on the spot.

I don't really want a brand new machine repaired...:(

----------

They may be able to give u a 2011 iMac or a RETINA Macbook Pro to put u on until the replacement arrives :) :apple: I really hope you can get this sorted ASAP. Good luck..... :apple:

Thank you for the positivity...i hope they can do something. Thanks again...

Gelite55

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
You really shouldn't be on here. You should be on the phone with Apple Returning or Exchanging.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

I've never heard of it outside of jointventure. Prior to that Procare gave you a theoretically faster repair time. I didn't always find this to be the case.

Do you have any kind of reference for this?

I don't really want a brand new machine repaired...:(

You're within the return period, so that shouldn't be an issue. You should speak to Apple on this.

LogicPro

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2012
I'm so sorry... call and complain, see if you can get some freebies out of it - mouse + superdrive, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.