Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:39 AM   #26
jeffsaha
macrumors member

i think for time machine you would have to install the time machine backup which may take longer. If you already have CCC, I would use that. Then you would still have the exact copy of your original drive and it should line up the sectors properly with a clone. From what I've heard, cloning onto an SSD is a better option. But I have done the time machine recovery before on my MBP after getting an SSD and it went just fine. I found that I like the CCC method better. I did it recently also on the MBP when a file copying to the drive was corrupt and caused the drive to fail completely. Luckily I cloned it a couple days prior just to test an external drive speed and it worked great. So it's really up to you to try out and familiarize yourself with either process. You could even try both if you are bored and have time. Just keep that original drive/data handy and wipe the SSD after the first attempt and try the other

I find that time machine is better suited for particular file recovery or reverting states and cloning is better for drive migration.
jeffsaha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:39 AM   #27
Luis2004
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteflyr View Post
Nope.

clone the OSX then use migration assistant to recover from time capsule.
Do you know which folder contains the OSX? There are a lot of folders in there
Luis2004 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:41 AM   #28
jeffsaha
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis2004 View Post
Okay, so which part of my external should I clone? It never got erased like I thought it would....so maybe just the system folder, with the X on it, or what?
Oh if you have already attempted to erase the original drive, your option may only be limited to installing the OS and migrating data from time machine.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:42 AM   #29
Luis2004
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsaha View Post
i think for time machine you would have to install the time machine backup which may take longer. If you already have CCC, I would use that. Then you would still have the exact copy of your original drive and it should line up the sectors properly with a clone. From what I've heard, cloning onto an SSD is a better option. But I have done the time machine recovery before on my MBP after getting an SSD and it went just fine. I found that I like the CCC method better. I did it recently also on the MBP when a file copying to the drive was corrupt and caused the drive to fail completely. Luckily I cloned it a couple days prior just to test an external drive speed and it worked great. So it's really up to you to try out and familiarize yourself with either process. You could even try both if you are bored and have time. Just keep that original drive/data handy and wipe the SSD after the first attempt and try the other

I find that time machine is better suited for particular file recovery or reverting states and cloning is better for drive migration.
Are you saying that you were able to clone time machine to the SSD and it booted?

----------

Quote:
Oh if you have already attempted to erase the original drive, your option may only be limited to installing the OS and migrating data from time machine.
I don't have a problem installing the OS, but from where?
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:42 AM   #30
jeffsaha
macrumors member

Quote:
Are you saying that you were able to clone time machine to the SSD and it booted?
Nope i actually cloned the drive itself and did nothing with time machine.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:43 AM   #31
niteflyr
macrumors 6502a

Clone the new OSX you installed on ext.
niteflyr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:46 AM   #32
jeffsaha
macrumors member

Quote:

----------

I don't have a problem installing the OS, but from where?
either the original install disk or through internet recovery. since the mini did not come with an install disk you may have to do the internet recovery.

----------

i agree with niteflyr though. If you haven't done anything with the original drive, just clone everything from it as source and ssd as destination
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:50 AM   #33
Luis2004
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
either the original install disk or through internet recovery. since the mini did not come with an install disk you may have to do the internet recovery.

----------

i agree with niteflyr though. If you haven't done anything with the original drive, just clone everything from it as source and ssd as destination
The problem is that my external has about 1TB of data in a hundred folders, and the SSD is 180GB, lol.

I'll do the long and tedious reinstallation of OS and see what happens.

Ah, 4 hours, 55 min to go..... I think I will go to bed and check on it in the morning. Can I disconnect my external now that the OS is downloading/installing to the SSD?
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:58 AM   #34
jeffsaha
macrumors member

Ahh, yeah cloning won't work. Just install OS and migrate data from time machine. Depends on where the time machine data is located. If on the original drive, then I would leave it connected. If not, it should be alright to remove it.

IMO I would just leave everything as is as to not add more variables for failure during the install by disconnecting the drive.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 01:02 AM   #35
Luis2004
macrumors 6502a

Smile

Quote:
Ahh, yeah cloning won't work. Just install OS and migrate data from time machine. Depends on where the time machine data is located. If on the original drive, then I would leave it connected. If not, it should be alright to remove it.

IMO I would just leave everything as is as to not add more variables for failure during the install by disconnecting the drive.
Ok, leaving the external plugged in for now. I'll check on it in the morning and see what's what.

Thanks for all your help. This is a great forum! I hope to learn as much as possible (probably mostly through trial and error) so I can help out someone else down the line.

Thanks again!

Old Jan 1, 2013, 01:08 AM   #36
jeffsaha
macrumors member

No prob! Yeah, unfortunately, my first experience with throwing a clone onto another drive on a mac, with CCC, happened at work where the MBP is my main workstation. Luckily I had just cloned the drive a couple of days prior to an external. Getting thrown into the fire like that definitely gets the process burned into your brain pretty quickly

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini