Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave26

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
UK
Hey guys,

So while i wait for my new iMac to be dispatched and delivered i was wondering what the best way to transfer applications would be? i currently own a Macbook Pro and some of my applications and files i will want to transfer over to my new iMac when it arrives. What ways do you guys use? would drop box be easier?

This will be my first iMac cant wait for it to arrive :)

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Hey guys,

So while i wait for my new iMac to be dispatched and delivered i was wondering what the best way to transfer applications would be? i currently own a Macbook Pro and some of my applications and files i will want to transfer over to my new iMac when it arrives. What ways do you guys use? would drop box be easier?

This will be my first iMac cant wait for it to arrive :)

When you start setting up your iMac, you'll have the option to migrate your stuff over. Or, if they're both running the same OS, then you could even clone the MBP and do it that way(but it would take longer).

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
You can use Migration assistant using an ethernet cable, or thunderbolt if you have one, connect the two Mac's, and then follow the prompts, you can select what you wish.

Last edited:

Dave26

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
UK
You can use Migration assistant using an ethernet cable, or thunderbolt if you have one, connect the two Mac's, and then follow the prompts, you can select what you wish.

It is only a few things that i want to send over to my new iMac, uni work, photoshop and so on. I don't have a thunderbolt i do have wifi if i could send the files over the internet? or dropbox i was looking at if that would work

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
1. Turn off your old mac and unplug everything from it
2. Connect it via Thunderbolt or Firewire cable to your New Computer
3. With your new mac turned on, turn on the old one while holding down Apple T
4. Then use the Migration Assistant

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It is only a few things that i want to send over to my new iMac, uni work, photoshop and so on. I don't have a thunderbolt i do have wifi if i could send the files over the internet? or dropbox i was looking at if that would work

If you mean just personal data like documents and PShop data files you have made, then yes Dropbox would be fine for that. But if you mean moving the Photoshop app to the new machine, you will need to either reinstall PS on the new machine or use the Migration Assistant to move it over. In either case make sure you "deactivate" PS on the old machine and you still need to activate it with your serial number on the new machine.

Dave26

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
UK
If you mean just personal data like documents and PShop data files you have made, then yes Dropbox would be fine for that. But if you mean moving the Photoshop app to the new machine, you will need to either reinstall PS on the new machine or use the Migration Assistant to move it over. In either case make sure you "deactivate" PS on the old machine and you still need to activate it with your serial number on the new machine.

I meant a mixture of both really, there are a few apps I want on my iMac such as photoshop, Final Cut Pro and a few games I got on Mac App Store. But also my uni document work.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I meant a mixture of both really, there are a few apps I want on my iMac such as photoshop, Final Cut Pro and a few games I got on Mac App Store. But also my uni document work.

Sounds like Migration Assistant it the way to go then. Just connect an ethernet cable between the two machines and run MA during setup of the new machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.