Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

STC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 14, 2008
I bought my son a new 13" MacBook Pro w/o retina for his 16th birthday. He was due for a new computer anyways and he'll use this for college too.
We have iPhones and iPads, but this is the 1st Mac computer in the house. We are used to setting up and running Windows machines, but do not know much about Macs.

Can you guys recommend some applications for a new user or what he/we should look out for? Thx!!!

btw I love his MBP, I might have to get one myself..... maybe the MacBook Air :D

markus843

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2012
There's a free program like photoshop called Gimp, (isn't on the app store, you can just google it), it isn't as good as photoshop but it can get the job done for simple tasks if you're going to edit any photos.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
There's a free program like photoshop called Gimp, (isn't on the app store, you can just google it), it isn't as good as photoshop but it can get the job done for simple tasks if you're going to edit any photos.

It's not free but I bought Pixelmator. It does everything I want and it wasn't too expensive.

applebro

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
If your son is going into engineering, disregard iWorks and get Office for Mac.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
I bought my son a new 13" MacBook Pro w/o retina for his 16th birthday. He was due for a new computer anyways and he'll use this for college too.
We have iPhones and iPads, but this is the 1st Mac computer in the house. We are used to setting up and running Windows machines, but do not know much about Macs.

Can you guys recommend some applications for a new user or what he/we should look out for? Thx!!!

btw I love his MBP, I might have to get one myself..... maybe the MacBook Air :D

- Dropbox
- Mindnode (free version available)
- iCircuit

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.