Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HF7035

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
I am fairly new to Apple other than my iPad. My 5 year old Dell PC is dying so I'm ready to make the switch to a 21.5 iMac (27 in doesn't fit in my office).
Other than the normal word processing, photo editing, browsing stuff, I want to convert VHS tapes to digital and burn them to a DVD. I also want to edit some HD digital videos and burn them to DVD as well. I also occasionally make photo montage videos (ala photostory 3 if you're familiar with MSFT products). I don't really play games - spend enough time on computers as it is. I will probably want to run windows at some point as I am sure I have some programs that are old but I will want to run for whatever reason.

I tend to be a little impatient in terms of boot up, processing, etc. I am pretty comfortable with computers so figure I'll upgrade the memory on whatever I buy. I was looking at the base 2011 21.5 2.5ghz i5 for $979 (refurb). I just missed a 2011 2.8 i7 BTO on the refurb site for $1229. Is the base model sufficient or should I hold out for the i7 BTO -- or do you all have a better suggestion? I am assuming that the 2.7 i5 for $1189 is not worth it other than I get a 1TB HD and a better graphics card. I would like this to be useful for at least 4 years.

I suppose I would consider a base 2012 iMac if you all think it's worth it although I'm a little put off by the 5400rpm HD and the fact I cannot add RAM myself. I realize this is a tough call since there are no benchmarks yet.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

scruby

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2012
Netherlands
I would always go for the higher end processor certainly if you want your mac to stay for a a couple of years. Btw since you want to do alot of burning.. the 2012 imac has no burner so you have to get an extra usb burner with that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.