Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ggulliver

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
Currently running Lion 10.7.5 on my 24-inch Mid 2007 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (with 6GB ram), I'm wondering about an upgrade to Mountain Lion and whether things will likely be slower after upgrade.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
The three machines I upgraded speeds were the same. I could not tell any difference. There are some graphics speed improvements in Mountain Lion, but it is a small bump.

ggulliver

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
The three machines I upgraded speeds were the same. I could not tell any difference. There are some graphics speed improvements in Mountain Lion, but it is a small bump.

Thanks.

As the Apple-stated ram requirement (Leopard 512mb, Snow Leopard 1gb, Lion 2gb) increases with each upgrade, it's the potential for overall sluggishness and/or running out of memory when available ram is shared among other apps which bothers me - and moreso as mine is the earliest of the supported models, with less power and ram.

It's an issue I've noticed since upgrading to Lion from Snow Leopard, and don't want to further worsen things. (Years back, switching my then iMac to OS X from OS 9 was horrid - sure, it did all sorts of useful stuff, but overall it was much slower and frequently ran out of memory.)

As the Mountain Lion requirement of 2gb is the same as Lion, maybe things will be ok.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Thanks.

As the Apple-stated ram requirement (Leopard 512mb, Snow Leopard 1gb, Lion 2gb) increases with each upgrade, it's the potential for overall sluggishness and/or running out of memory when available ram is shared among other apps which bothers me - and moreso as mine is the earliest of the supported models, with less power and ram.

It's an issue I've noticed since upgrading to Lion from Snow Leopard, and don't want to further worsen things. (Years back, switching my then iMac to OS X from OS 9 was horrid - sure, it did all sorts of useful stuff, but overall it was much slower and frequently ran out of memory.)

As the Mountain Lion requirement of 2gb is the same as Lion, maybe things will be ok.

Lion was really weird on my Late 2011 MacBook Pro, a HUGE upgrade Mountain Lion is. So if you're currently having issues, you might be better off with ML. One day Lion literally rendered my OS X install useless for whatever reason and I had to start over again, no issues on ML this far in.

ggulliver

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
Thanks, everyone. Appreciated.
Upgrade done; it appears faster, certainly isn't slower, no out-of-memory problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.