Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:43 AM   #1
nosnhojm
macrumors member

NAS for Time Machine

Any iMac users successfully using a Synology (or other brand) NAS for Time Machine backups? Over WiFi?

I don't have my iMac yet, but I've heard there may be some compatibility issues when using a non-Time-Capsule device for backups, possibly due to the Bonjour sleep proxy. I'm just wondering if any iMac users have encountered this issue.
nosnhojm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:45 AM   #2
blueroom
macrumors 603

Me.

TM on my DS212j works great over both WiFi or wired GigE.
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:50 AM   #3
maflynn

I like my QNAP for such things but many people here have an affinity towards Synology. If I were to do my purchase over again, I'd probably get a Synology. I'm not displeased with my QNAP - its going strong but I think Synology offers some nice features.
maflynn is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:02 AM   #4
DavoteK
macrumors regular

Been using a Synology NAS for backing up via Time Machine for over a year now. Via ethernet for one Mac and via WiFi for the other Mac. Seamless.
DavoteK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:39 AM   #5
gc916
macrumors regular

Western Digital MyBook Live Duo - 4TB capacity. Time Machine backs up via WiFi. Simple to set up, and no problems during 2 months with this configuration.

That said, if I had to replace it, I'd probably go with Synology, based on reviews and user comments.
gc916 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:48 AM   #6
MiniMi
macrumors newbie

Been using the Western Digital 6tb Duo with no problems
MiniMi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:55 AM   #7
mmomega
macrumors Demi-God

Used a WD MyBook World NAS before but have since changed just because it was the slowest device in the known universe .
3x AEBS 802.11ac, JetStream Gigabit, 5x AppleTV
mmomega is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:23 AM   #8
InlawBiker
macrumors regular

I did a ton of research on this recently. Between QNap, Synology and building my own FreeNAS server. They were all good options and all would work.

I went with Synology and ordered the DS212J plus a 3tb drive just today. It should be set up in a week or so. I have another 1tb drive I can put into it for media serving, the 3tb will be used for Time Machine.

Synology seems to be the best balance of features, size, sound (or lack thereof), and support. I think QNap is just as good but I didn't find as much feedback.

A FreeNAS server is more versatile but I didn't want another PC box sitting around sucking up power and worrying about replacing fans and components. Plus the out-of-the-box solutions are just less hassle.

Anyhow I plan to do a blog post on setting up the Synology. Now I have to figure out how to get Picasa to play nice with it.
InlawBiker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:31 AM   #9
Sodner
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmomega View Post
Used a WD MyBook World NAS before but have since changed just because it was the slowest device in the known universe .
I'd second that. Mine is now sitting in my computer junk pile.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:31 AM   #10
nosnhojm
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InlawBiker View Post
A FreeNAS server is more versatile but I didn't want another PC box sitting around sucking up power and worrying about replacing fans and components. Plus the out-of-the-box solutions are just less hassle.
Funny that you should mention "replacing fans", as my Synology DS212+ has been having issues lately. It occasionally (~once per day) reports that the internal fan has stopped working, but then 30 seconds later reports that the fan has resumed. Synology sent me a new fan, but that did not fix the problem. Now I'm debating sending it back as RMA for a replacement. I don't actually think the fan stops; I think the device thinks that it stopped.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:58 AM   #11
InlawBiker
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnhojm View Post
Synology sent me a new fan, but that did not fix the problem. Now I'm debating sending it back as RMA for a replacement. I don't actually think the fan stops; I think the device thinks that it stopped.
Hm that's too bad. But at least you have support and RMA is an option. That's why I don't want to build my own. There are more components that can die, and when they do I'm on the hook to fix them. No thanks I'm done with that!
InlawBiker is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals