Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
Good Morning all,

I own a pair of 11" Airs from 2011--mine, a core i7 model went though the latest 'battery' EFI update late last week. While doing the update, everything went as it should (A/C power was connected during update)---the update downloaded, it did the little 'Bong' and then it hung up on the Grey Apple screen with the little spinner thingy. That screen stayed for well over an hour before I went ahead and did a hard shut down, by holding the power button. I was nervous after this...as in a decade of owning the modern Macs, I've NEVER seen this happen.

Went to boot back up---same thing, it hung on the grey screen.

I shut down again, did a PRAM reset (Command/Option/P/R) and it came up perfectly....I reset the computer a couple of times, just fine. It rebooted perfectly. This was Saturday. Sunday, I took the MBA downstairs from office unplugged. Went to boot up---same, hung on the grey screen. PRAM reset, BOOM! Booted fine.

This morning....yesterday morning, same...I've had to PRAM reset every time I've started the computer. Is there anything glaringly obvious? I also own a 2010 Air...and it was the only computer I didn't buy Apple Care for....it's humming along just perfect (it's my wife's everyday 'Bejeweled' and Facebook computer;)). I've not updated any of the other Airs, as I'm very concerned with this issue. It just so happens my rMBP is at the Apple store currently getting the LG display replaced. After owning it for almost 6 months, IR set in...and got very ugly over the period of a week! It was perfect for 5.5 months. I'm really annoyed right now...as one of the reasons we are all Apple in our business and home is because this just doesn't happen :( LOL....oh well, gotta giggle a bit, as we all know, when it rains it pours!!!

Just curious if anyone knows anything about what I can do to remedy this issue before seeing the 'Genius'. I'm pretty savvy in the Terminal and don't mind screwing around (safely) before bringing it in. Again...I don't have Apple Care but this was specifically related to an EFI update....so my hope is that it is a quick software fix/patch. There don't seem to be any issues when the computer is up and on. Just booting.

Thanks all! I appreciate your time and wisdom in advance

Jeremy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.