Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
Google Maps for iOS is a usability nightmare. It looks cool but it's a real PITA.

I think Google uses iOS as a testing ground for new design ideas to see how well they catch on before bringing them to Android. If they think this design is good they'll probably bring it to Key Lime Pie. I just hope they don't make Maps on Android anything like it is on iOS, or if they do, I hope they fix it first.

Im curious to hear your input on Google Maps on iOS, like what problems you've seen. Also what do you think is the best maps software? I use Google Maps plenty and I just type the destination and hit navigate. Works without a hitch. But I do have to say...it did make me drive in a circle for a bit for no reason.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Im curious to hear your input on Google Maps on iOS, like what problems you've seen. Also what do you think is the best maps software? I use Google Maps plenty and I just type the destination and hit navigate. Works without a hitch. But I do have to say...it did make me drive in a circle for a bit for no reason.

There's a lot of places in the UI where you have to slide menus out but there's no visual cue for it, for example.

I also hate how the walking directions aren't nearly as clear as they should be in terms of giving me instructions - it's either a list or a map, no arrows or directions on that map at all, so I have to go between the two when I can't see the names of roads and guess basically.

I just generally find using it very frustrating whereas I rarely had issues with the Android version.

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
There's a lot of places in the UI where you have to slide menus out but there's no visual cue for it, for example.

I also hate how the walking directions aren't nearly as clear as they should be in terms of giving me instructions - it's either a list or a map, no arrows or directions on that map at all, so I have to go between the two when I can't see the names of roads and guess basically.

I just generally find using it very frustrating whereas I rarely had issues with the Android version.

Oh I don't use it for walking directions so I may not experience issues like you. Tbh, I enjoy both Google Apps experience on my Galaxy S3 and iPhone 5. But I guess their probably be more issues with iPhones when it comes to Google.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.