Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:37 PM   #1
davenz
macrumors regular

New MacBook Air (used)

So I just bought a used MacBook Air on eBay. Everywhere has the old owners name. iCloud, hard drive, computer name ect. How do I change this? I don't want to reinstall as that way it will delete all the software which is installed.

Anyway to change this in one place so it filters down? Thanks
davenz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:57 PM   #2
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

U should be able to delete all users except the root administrator.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:04 PM   #3
Drew017
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Skype™ to Drew017
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenz View Post
So I just bought a used MacBook Air on eBay. Everywhere has the old owners name. iCloud, hard drive, computer name ect. How do I change this? I don't want to reinstall as that way it will delete all the software which is installed.

Anyway to change this in one place so it filters down? Thanks
You just need to create your now user. Go to system preferences> users and groups. Click on the lock icon and authenticate it, then click the + icon above it and create your new user (with admin privileges) then log out of the current user. Log in as your new user and go through the setup process, then go back to users and groups (still in your new user) and delete the old user by selecting it and clicking the - button and selecting "delete user's home folder".

To rename the HD, simply go to finder, then navigate to the computer directory and rename the HD like you would a normal folder.

To rename the computer, go to system preferences> sharing and type your computer's new name in the "Computer Name" text box.
Drew017 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air