Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jun 9, 2013, 10:00 AM   #1
iamsen47
macrumors regular

Charging MBA off a scooter. Possible?

As above in title. If I were to run a cable from the battery/alternator/that-thingy into say, a lighter socket, and use that to charge my MBA. Would the power provided be stable enough?

It is but a mere 50cc scooter, I don't know how much power the alternator actually provides or whether it's stable. I know people that've connected USB outlets to charge their phones/GPS.

Will an unstable current damage the battery or charger?
iamsen47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 10:19 AM   #2
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Assuming the scooter's electrical system is 12 volt, then a cig. lighter adaptor attached to the battery would work fine. Don't attach it to the alternator though, you want the battery there to provide stable power.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 05:17 PM   #3
mattferg
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsen47 View Post
As above in title. If I were to run a cable from the battery/alternator/that-thingy into say, a lighter socket, and use that to charge my MBA. Would the power provided be stable enough?

It is but a mere 50cc scooter, I don't know how much power the alternator actually provides or whether it's stable. I know people that've connected USB outlets to charge their phones/GPS.

Will an unstable current damage the battery or charger?
Not sure if the 12V current coming out would have enough Amps to charge the battery in any meaningful timeframe.
mattferg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 05:58 AM   #4
iamsen47
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattferg View Post
Not sure if the 12V current coming out would have enough Amps to charge the battery in any meaningful timeframe.
That might be true.

I had been thinking of going on a short little road trip into somewhere remote, camping most of the time. The little scooty will have to charge an iPhone, iPad, MBA and a mifi. Honestly, I don't know if it'll work. I might get a solar charger for some extra juice if necessary, though I'm more worried that an unstable current might damage the chargers/batteries.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
Assuming the scooter's electrical system is 12 volt, then a cig. lighter adaptor attached to the battery would work fine. Don't attach it to the alternator though, you want the battery there to provide stable power.
yes that. Cig lighter, forgot what it was called for a moment there. My friends have those on their big touring bikes. Mine is but a mere city commuter

iamsen47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air