Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Apr 6, 2014, 04:37 PM   #326
worldbrain
macrumors newbie

suspect SSD's

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSee View Post
Success! I finally did this! Been thinking about it ever since this thread started.

(The smuginess seemed to stop progressing after a while and was mainly on the edges of the screen and I just got used to it.)

But the SSD I had put in there died. When I replaced that I decided to go for it. Getting the display panel out of the frame was a bit beyond my comfort zone but I made it through.

Thanks Oggy and others that made this possible for me!

My screen is now nice and clear, edge to edge. Woohoo!
...having dealt with a number of the ssd's with proplems, i suspect inadequate cooling, if not a manufacturing defect. Installing a mini heatsink, and/or a fan, theoretically should show a quantifiable difference in performance...(there has been a recall on a few releases initially)
worldbrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:03 AM   #327
iSee
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldbrain View Post
...having dealt with a number of the ssd's with proplems, i suspect inadequate cooling, if not a manufacturing defect. Installing a mini heatsink, and/or a fan, theoretically should show a quantifiable difference in performance...(there has been a recall on a few releases initially)
I suspect you're right... I don't know if I mentioned this, but I had the SSD in there for ~ two years with no problems. But when this happened I had been putting my iMac under quite a heavy load for several weeks (especially the GPU).

I'll look into that. Thanks!
Old May 27, 2014, 07:16 AM   #328
Wreckie
macrumors regular

I just cleaned my iMac, had this same issue. It took me about 4 hours total, but now the screen is just like new. Thank you for motivation!
Wreckie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2014, 06:39 AM   #329
mcrazza
macrumors member

I'm seriously thinking about cleaning the LCD in my iMac too. It's a 24" screen (see sig) but exhibits the same splotchy shadows or smudges just like on the 27" models.

I watched a couple of imac lcd disassembly videos but they don't explain what kind of tape to use when re-sealing the screen. The stock tape appears to be aluminum tape.

Should I use electrical aluminum tape or something else?

Please be specific as to what/which tape to use because I really don't want to put the wrong tape in there and watch the screen overheat and blowup.
WD 1TB MyBook Studio & Seagate Wireless Plus 1TB
mcrazza is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2014, 01:25 PM   #330
Oggy
macrumors member

Don't use any tape. Just assemble it as it is.
Oggy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:31 PM   #331
mcrazza
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
Don't use any tape. Just assemble it as it is.
Are you absolutely sure it's safe to do that? Wouldn't dust somehow find its way in there again too?

Sorry to ask, I'm just double checking before I go ahead and attempt this.
WD 1TB MyBook Studio & Seagate Wireless Plus 1TB
mcrazza is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2014, 03:16 PM   #332
twelveone
macrumors newbie

This is awesome, looks like it will solve my problem!!

Thanks so much for this tutorial!!!

In the next week or so, Im going to try this as well. I just have a couple questions first to make sure I do everything correctly.

I've heard other people saying that they had problems with the fan constantly running after putting it back together. If anything, what can I do to make sure this doesn't happen?

I know the person above me just asked this, however should i re-tape it myself after cleaning? Maybe to make sure it's sealed better to prevent this from possibly happening again?

Also, Im a bit confused as to where to lift up the glass to clean the LCD panel. If Im sitting looking at the screen as I am now, would I lift it from the bottom or the top?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, everyone (3 people) I talked to from says they've never heard of this particular problem, which we all know is total horse ****, if I wanted smoke blown up my ass I would order a prostitute. So I send my sincere thanks to you for this great tutorial!!!

Regards,
Tony
twelveone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:44 PM   #333
anne5louise
macrumors newbie

I followed Oggy's instructions: tt took me well over two hours. My 2010 iMac had some brownish stains all over the top right corner of the screen.

After cleaning the display the stains were gone, but now I got 2 black spots, which are less annoying to me than the stains.

I'll try the procedure once again to see if I can get rid of the black spots.

Did any of you guys manage to get rid of all stains and black spots?
anne5louise is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2014, 11:24 PM   #334
twelveone
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne5louise View Post
I followed Oggy's instructions: tt took me well over two hours. My 2010 iMac had some brownish stains all over the top right corner of the screen.

After cleaning the display the stains were gone, but now I got 2 black spots, which are less annoying to me than the stains.

I'll try the procedure once again to see if I can get rid of the black spots.

Did any of you guys manage to get rid of all stains and black spots?
Hmmm, What do you mean black spots and where are they? Are they similar to the stains? Are you sure they weren't there before you followed the instructions?
twelveone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2014, 01:52 PM   #335
Captain.Slow
macrumors newbie

I recently noticed this same problem develop on my Mid-2011 27" iMac, so I took it to the Apple store last week to get them to look at it (also got them to see if my iMac was eligible for the replacement graphics card as my serial number ended with the ones mentioned in the news article).

After pointing it out, the Genius pretty quickly started with the "do you use it in a dusty environment" questions, finishing off by suggesting that to fix the issue, the LCD would need to be replaced. He checked through my details and discovered that my AppleCare (which would have covered it) had expired 7 days prior, so to get the work done, it'd cost me just shy of 400.

I left the store without the work being done and called AppleCare, explaining my situation and what I had been told in store. The guy I spoke to put me on hold for a couple of minutes, then came back and said that he'd spoken to a senior agent, and that he was going to transfer me across to them. To cut this short, they basically said they'd cover the work to be done as a one time exception - that they'd put what's called an SC-Code(?) against my iMac's serial number to authorise the work.

Took it back to the Apple Store after the call (extra kudos to the store manager for fitting me in with a genius appointment), and a week later I have my iMac back with a nice new screen.

Kudos to Apple on this one, I have to say!

Some advice to those who are still covered, or have just had their AppleCare expire - be cheeky, but calm! There's no harm in trying, and it may just pay off!

That said, having had this work done, i'm not overly convinced it's going to resolve the issue completely, as I can see the same thing happening 3 years down the line again. If the iMac is still working by that point, thank's to Oggy's guide - I now have something to try if and when the problem returns!
Captain.Slow is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac