Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolnitman

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
I'm planning to charge my iPhone 4s with PC only. My Wall charger is not working so instead of buying a new one i thought of charging the phone via PC.

Will it cause any problem to battery or phone ?

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
Charging your iPhone via PC only won't cause any harm to your phone but will probably charge a little slower than it would if plugged in to an outlet.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
I'm planning to charge my iPhone 4s with PC only. My Wall charger is not working so instead of buying a new one i thought of charging the phone via PC.

Will it cause any problem to battery or phone ?

No. Your charging rate will be slower, though. A USB 2 port can only provide 500mAh.

Last edited:

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
No. Your charging rate will be slower, though. A USB port can only provide 500mAh.

2007 and newer have higher power output via USB on supported devices...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4049?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Apple peripheral devices may request more than 500 mA (Milliamps) at 5 V (Volts) from a port to function or to allow for faster charging. Such Apple peripheral devices include:

Apple MacBook Air SuperDrive (when connected to supported computers)
Aluminum Wired Keyboard*
iPod
iPhone
iPad
To meet requests for additional power from these Apple peripherals and devices, some Apple computers and displays can provide up to 1100 mA at 5 V through the port to which the Apple peripheral or device is connected. This power is available under certain conditions:

An Apple peripheral device must be plugged directly into an Apple computer or display. Apple peripheral devices connected to hubs will not have access to extra power above the standard USB specification of the port the device is connecting to (500 mA for USB 1.1 or 2, 900 mA for USB 3).
Your Apple computer or display must be powered on and must be awake. If your Apple computer or display is asleep, all ports will provide their normal maximum output. If your Apple computer or display is powered off, no power will be provided.
The port providing extra power is determined by the first Apple peripheral or device to connect to the Apple computer or display that requires power beyond 500 mA for USB 1.1 or 2, or 900 mA for USB 3. The remaining ports will continue to offer their normal maximum output. Some Apple computer and displays may offer the ability to operate more than one USB port at 1100 mA at 5 V. On those computers, the second or third port is enabled when an appropriate device is connected.
An Apple computer started up to Windows via BootCamp will not provide extra power.
*When connected to a computer that supports a connection of 1100 mA at 5 V, the first port on the keyboard to have a device or peripheral connected to it that requests standard 500mA power will receive that power. At that point, 100 mA at 5 V is available through the remaining port on this keyboard. This keyboard does not support extra power out of its two ports simultaneously; it requests extra power from the host computer to provide power out of either one of its two ports, then the second keyboard port receives the standard 500mA.

Note: Apple computers and displays that were introduced before 2007 support only 500 mA at 5 V from their ports and do not offer additional power.

coolnitman

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Thanks evry1 :cool:..
It doesn't matter to me how much time it will take for charging just wanted to know whether its safe to do it all time or not.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
He's using a PC. Not a Macintosh. Didn't you read the title?

the way i read the title was he was using the generic term for any kind of personal computer, not specifically an IBM compatible machine.

with that said, as stated, if he is using a non-mac, USB 2.0, yes it will charge slower but wont effect the battery in any negative way.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
That is how I charge my iPhone 5. The frigging cables are so expensive I just haul my laptop (with USB 3.0 ports) to work and keep an iPhone 5 cable in my backpack. Charges my iPhone almost as fast as a wall charger (USB 3.0 ports are 900mAh at least).

Yeah, just for fun I plugged it into my USB 2.0 port and it charged a lot slower but since it stayed plugged in during my work day, I didn't even notice it.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I'm a little confused. The phone is designed to be charged on a computer. The cable is a USB that plugs into a charger for the wall. In what possible way could this be bad for your phone? It's like asking if it will hurt your car to add gas out of a can instead of a pump, just stop and think a second about the whole thing.

jkauff

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012
Asus has a little utility program for Windows (not sure about Mac) called AI Charger that works on any machine. When a chargeable device is connected, it boosts the charging function of the USB port to max. I never charge my phone at the wall.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
It will be fine but you know you can get those wall charging plugs for like $1-2 each online right?

Asus has a little utility program for Windows (not sure about Mac) called AI Charger that works on any machine. When a chargeable device is connected, it boosts the charging function of the USB port to max. I never charge my phone at the wall.

I love that little tweak.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.