Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sarmiento

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
On several occasions I tried maintaining an Aperture Library with my 30,000+ photo library (mostly RAW) and found that it was constantly unreliable and crashing. After using Aperture for about 3 years I finally pulled the plug and went with Lightroom 4. Each has it's own advantages & disadvantages but I'm not arguing this point.

The issue with the crashing could be with SuperDuper which I was using to clone my external drive which held my aperture library and photos. I've really never had any issues with SuperDuper and thought very highly of it but this week I noticed when it clones the drives it unchecks the "Ignore ownership on this volume" on both the original and clone. I guess this wouldn't affect the normal user who has one user and imports from one user but I had 2 users on on 1 mac and each of us would import into the drive independently on each others account.

I researched it online and users have reported the SuperDuper & "Ignore Ownership on this volume" for several years. I'm going to guess that Aperture would be finicky about the sharing and permissions and that could be the cause of the crashing. Knowing this now I'm going to try once more and see if the problem goes away.

Wonder if anyone else uses SuperDuper and notices that it unchecks this box from external drives.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-13 at 8.22.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-13 at 8.22.41 PM.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 646

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I don't use SuperDuper but I do have Carbon Copy Cloner. I use it for scheduled backups of my OS and data files on a 1TB external and to clone my Aperture library every day. No real issues to speak of. I've never had to rescue anything, though. CCC is graphic interface that runs the Mac OS terminal command "ditto:", which duplicates items block for block.

Dale

Sarmiento

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
I don't use SuperDuper but I do have Carbon Copy Cloner. I use it for scheduled backups of my OS and data files on a 1TB external and to clone my Aperture library every day. No real issues to speak of. I've never had to rescue anything, though. CCC is graphic interface that runs the Mac OS terminal command "ditto:", which duplicates items block for block.

Dale

I sent SuperDuper a work ticket and they didn't reply and just closed the case. So this weekend I downloaded Carbon Copy Cloner and it's working fine. Unlike SuperDuper it didn't change the drive's permissions.

Another perk with Carbon Copy Cloner is that it works with NAS drives too.

Thanks for the tip!

twitch31

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2013
Wonder if anyone else uses SuperDuper and notices that it unchecks this box from external drives.

Yes, I have run into exactly this problem with superduper. Drives me nuts having to constantly re-check the ignor ownership box.

swordio777

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2013
Scotland, UK
I used to use Lightroom4 with a referenced library, but I've recently started using Aperture more. I've set up a referenced library for Aperture as well, because I thought that would be best for doing an incremental backup with SuperDuper. Can anyone advise whether this is really the case? My concern is that if I've got a 50GB Aperture library and make one tiny change, will SuperDuper see it as a whole new file and re-write the entire 50GB library, or will it go deeper into the package contents and only update the actual changes (the brand new file and the catalog)?

Another perk with Carbon Copy Cloner is that it works with NAS drives too.
So you can easily clone an Ethernet connected NAS to a USB connected HDD? Does that also let you do incremental backup? If so, I think I may need to switch to CCC! This was driving me mad with SuperDuper to the point where I stopped using my ReadyNAS for critical work because backing it up was so awkward.

Thanks guys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.