Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Aug 30, 2013, 04:21 PM   #51
Italianblend
macrumors 65816

I'm not drinking the koolaid that apple has the best user experience. They seem to be behind the competition and are very good at marketing that. Hell, they launched the 4S almost solely on the addition of siri, which is still in beta, 2 years later, and still well well well behind the competition. But I don't blame apple. If they can pull it off then they should keep doing it.
Italianblend is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 04:41 PM   #52
teknikal90
macrumors 68000

I want 8MP camera with 1.8 aperture and an all glass lens!
Old Aug 30, 2013, 04:53 PM   #53
Jimmy James
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknikal90 View Post
I want 8MP camera with 1.8 aperture and an all glass lens!
Now you're talking!
Jimmy James is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 05:31 PM   #54
zedzded
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italianblend View Post
. But I don't blame apple. If they can pull it off then they should keep doing it.
Good point mate Why should they try and compete with rival companies, they can bring out inferior products and people will still buy them. Whether that will still be working in 10 years time, who knows, but for now they have no need to produce innovative and high spec phones.
zedzded is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 09:10 PM   #55
trssho
macrumors 6502

Megapixels done right would be awesome! Case in point.....

http://connect.dpreview.com/post/523...-review?page=8
trssho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 09:14 PM   #56
Mrg02d
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish2351 View Post
MP truly do not matter, people just look at the spec sheet, see the easiest thing to remember, and think the MP are the most important
Oh yea, just tell that to the htc one users...
Mrg02d is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 09:30 PM   #57
sulpfiction
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by borgqueenx View Post
megapixels=more zoom. thus it is kinda nice to have/
Where did u hear this? The more MP, the cleaner the image will be when u enlarge it. I'm not printing 12x20" photos, so more MP means nothing to me. 8mp is way more then enough. better sensor, & better optics, lower f-stop and you'll take nicer pics then a 50 or 100 MP camera. Anything above 8-10 MP's are totally marketing gimmicks for casual photography.
sulpfiction is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:16 PM   #58
Mrg02d
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpfiction View Post
Where did u hear this? The more MP, the cleaner the image will be when u enlarge it. I'm not printing 12x20" photos, so more MP means nothing to me. 8mp is way more then enough. better sensor, & better optics, lower f-stop and you'll take nicer pics then a 50 or 100 MP camera. Anything above 8-10 MP's are totally marketing gimmicks for casual photography.
Not so. The gs4 was shown to take better pictures than IP5. I dunno what the deal is, I've seen no drawback to more MP.
It's not like we can see the images getting darker and darker. I take a lot of macro shots and can see the difference.
Mrg02d is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 11:21 PM   #59
cmichaelb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
That's what was said but its all about manufacturing cost. They wanted to have to produce the least amount of models and cover the most amount of markets.

Then claim "oh its better a better user experience, efficiency blah blah".

But in reality the user experience is limited. iPhone 5 can't do voice and LTE on GSM as it reverts to 4G, the competition can. The iPhone 5 can't do voice and data on CDMA at all, the competition can.

So what's a better user experience? Obviously its more efficient, its less hardware doing less work (energy). But now its a moot point since battery life on competitor devices is about on par with the iPhone.

Nexus 4 did a very similar thing except to an extreme. No LTE, however there is only one model that covers most (if not all) GSM markets. No LTE sucks but its reflected in the price which is nice.
So it drops to 4G? So they don't have the extra antenna to maintain LTE for voice/data at the same time? Who cares? Do people really have that little patience for the extra second it takes for a web page to pull up?

They have their designs they like and if you don't like, there's plenty of nice phones to choose from.

I'm still on a 4S and have used iPhone 5's with LTE. So it's faster, big deal.

I also got use the first LTE phones and I'm glad apple waited for smaller more efficient chipsets.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 01:04 AM   #60
SONiC5
macrumors regular

I wouldn't be mad if it was true, but a 10-12 MP camera would be nice, I do crop/straighten/etc. most of my pictures, so I'd like something with a little more resolution.

And a higher MP count doesn't automatically mean the image quality will be diminished, the 4S blows the 4 out of the water, in my experience.
SONiC5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2013, 01:25 AM   #61
loybond
macrumors regular

The picture below was taken with an 8MP camera. The Galaxy S4 must be 62.5% better, basic math. I must upgrade.

Old Aug 31, 2013, 07:56 AM   #62
cynics
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmichaelb View Post
So it drops to 4G? So they don't have the extra antenna to maintain LTE for voice/data at the same time? Who cares? Do people really have that little patience for the extra second it takes for a web page to pull up?

They have their designs they like and if you don't like, there's plenty of nice phones to choose from.

I'm still on a 4S and have used iPhone 5's with LTE. So it's faster, big deal.

I also got use the first LTE phones and I'm glad apple waited for smaller more efficient chipsets.
This is completely besides the point.

The point was they used less hardware for manufacturing cost not for a better user experience.

Btw there are plenty of threads of people complaining about slow data speeds while on a call. Getting MUCH slower then normal 4G however some report its ATT throttling when on a call. I'm not one of them because I'm on Verizon and can't do data and voice at all at the same time.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 08:57 AM   #63
sulpfiction
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrg02d View Post
Not so. The gs4 was shown to take better pictures than IP5. I dunno what the deal is, I've seen no drawback to more MP.
It's not like we can see the images getting darker and darker. I take a lot of macro shots and can see the difference.
I'm no expert on the subject, but more MP's can actually make ur photos worse. My point was that the sensor and optics are much more important then just bumping up the MP.
sulpfiction is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2013, 09:51 AM   #64
Ajones330
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
Especially when it's not really a 40mp camera. They are doing some creative math with their numbers to get that.

And it compresses down to like 12MP when it saves.
Its actually a 38mp sensor and when you save or send a photo its down to 5mp...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by loybond View Post
The picture below was taken with an 8MP camera. The Galaxy S4 must be 62.5% better, basic math. I must upgrade.

Nice digs

13" MBP l 13" MB l iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB l
Ajones330 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone