Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majkom

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 3, 2011
You don't have to buy at the official Apple store!

For example:

In Russian offical stores, Apple products cost up to 2x times more expensive than in USA! :eek:

But, in grey stores (unofficial stores: completely legal, but importing from USA without Apple's permission)
- just about 5%-15% more expensive (Apple tax deducted :p)
And this price difference is relatively small and acceptable - because these kind companies spend money
to deliver the products from USA, also on staff & storage & rent, and also need to make some profit.

The cheapest price* could be found with a local market prices online tool: market.yandex.ru
Type the model number, search, and you would be really glad to see the results! ;)

Source: my personal experience.

* By "cheapest price", I mean "cheapest price from a store which has many (at least, 100) positive reviews
(4-5 stars from 5; of course, this rating does not include the reviews affected by delivery, because they are affected by a quality of delivery company service)

I believe, in every European country the situation is similar.
Just do some research, and you will save a lot! :)

Sorry, but not here... maybe some unknown individuals I wont trust, but real shop or eshop with some history - no. We do have official online apple store and we do have apple resselers (and other stores selling apple products without being resellers - usually more expensive then resellers and apple store)

----------

6.2% share in unit sales. That means, counting the number of computers sold. However, Apple is selling almost exclusively in the high-end market. Where others sell a laptop for £349 (which is always "reduced for £599 for an enormous saving" if you believe it), Apple sells most of its laptops for over £1000. So 6.2% in unit sales, probably 18% to 22% in revenue. That's not a "minor PC vendor". And if you look at profits...

nope, I gave you real numbers... apple is minor vendor here in Europe.. it is probably important one in high end market, but in general, my statement is true... it is like saying Ferarri is major vendor because it sells only hgh end cars, but it is not ferarri but vw, audi, bmw, skoda and others that are major here in europe

diogolg

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
We are having the same 'effect' here in Brazil.

The macbook air had an increase of $400 dollars and it's sold now for R$3699 (~$1800) while in the US it's price tag is $999 + tax

The macbook pro 15' retina is sold here for R$9999 (~$5000)

We don't have the iPhone 5 yet, but when it comes out will be very expensive for sure... Just to you guys have an ideia, the iPhone 4 (4!!) is sold here for R$ 1499 (you can get it for R$899 with contract)

AppleMacFinder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2009
maybe some unknown individuals I wont trust, but real shop or eshop with some history - no.

Of course, I was talking about shops that have their own website and a lot of positive reviews
(unlike unknown individuals) Most of these stores are "physical", which is a good thing:
if you want to save on delivery, you visit their store and buy there.

While not approved by Apple, everything is fine and legal. And, in addition, you get two warranties: one from this shop,
and another is Apple's 1 year international warranty, which is valid of course: if there is a problem with your product,
you just go to official Apple store and tell that you bought this product during the trip*

*Previously, you need to visit Apple USA website and upload a scan of receipt as a proof of purchase -
so they can add to database the period of time when the warranty starts working and when it ends.

This way, you receive Apple premium service without paying a local Apple tax! :p
And also a shop warranty, which is a nice addition. Works perfectly! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.