Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
$99 for 16gb, $199 for 32gb and so on. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2412426,00.asp

I have some questions:

1) Does anyone know if these are refurbed by AT&T or by Apple?

2) I don't think you can buy Applecare+ when you buy from AT&T (they sell their own insurance plan). I'm wondering if these refurbs are eligible for Applecare+? Assuming they are, the nearest Apple Store is 100 miles away from me, making the usual Genius exam of a phone very inconvenient. Anyone know an alternative method of getting Applecare+ when buying direct from AT&T?

3) Setting aside the refurbs questions, if I buy a new phone direct from AT&T (to get a FAN discount) is there a way to get Applecare+ without a visit to an Apple Store?

4) Does anyone have experience with previous AT&T iPhone refurbs?

megapopular

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
I talked my friend into buying 2 refurbished iphone 4's from AT&T for himself and his girlfriend, they worked perfectly well up until July this year when he upgraded to iPhone 4s's then he gave them to his kids. I just ordered a refurbished iPhone 5 64 gb for my sister yesterday, so I'll know by Monday, I guess to see what kind of condition it's in... And a bit more time to see how it works as far as the software.

Last edited:

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.
$99 for 16gb, $199 for 32gb and so on. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2412426,00.asp

I have some questions:

1) Does anyone know if these are refurbed by AT&T or by Apple?

2) I don't think you can buy Applecare+ when you buy from AT&T (they sell their own insurance plan). I'm wondering if these refurbs are eligible for Applecare+? Assuming they are, the nearest Apple Store is 100 miles away from me, making the usual Genius exam of a phone very inconvenient. Anyone know an alternative method of getting Applecare+ when buying direct from AT&T?

3) Setting aside the refurbs questions, if I buy a new phone direct from AT&T (to get a FAN discount) is there a way to get Applecare+ without a visit to an Apple Store?

4) Does anyone have experience with previous AT&T iPhone refurbs?

I just purchased the refurb 5 for $99 and AppleCare+ is part of the checkout process.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Lots of conflicting stories in that thread. $100 off is tempting but I prefer to avoid hassles whenever possible.

I don't think it being returned is a problem. If there is anything wrong, go to the Genius Bar and switch it out for another refurb (but this time, an actual Apple refurb)

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
I just purchased the refurb 5 for $99 and AppleCare+ is part of the checkout process.

I went all the way through to checkout and never saw a mention of it. I see the "AT&T Mobile Protection Pack" and "AT&T Mobile Protection" insurance but nothing else.

----------

I don't think it being returned is a problem. If there is anything wrong, go to the Genius Bar and switch it out for another refurb (but this time, an actual Apple refurb)

As I said, the nearest Genius bar is 100 miles away.

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.
I went all the way through to checkout and never saw a mention of it. I see the "AT&T Mobile Protection Pack" and "AT&T Mobile Protection" insurance but nothing else.

----------

As I said, the nearest Genius bar is 100 miles away.

I was upgrading and a loyal AT&T customer. O/w I can't explain the difference in our experiences. AppleCare+ was stage two in the purchasing process. I'll see if I can post a pic.

Justinf79

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2009
Oregon
I just ordered a 16GB black iPhone 5 refurb today. Didn't see an option for Applecare, though I think there was an option for ATT's insurance.

Hopefully there's no scratches and stuff all over it.

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.
Maybe because I was upgrading?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 96

TypeMRT

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
ATT refurbished phones are actually phones that the owners returned in the 30 day window. There was a discussion here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1013400/

Soon my 10-day old iPhone 5 will be returned and part of the refurb stock. I'll save the $100 buying a refurb and visit an Apple Store if there's an issue later. The Genius Bar should be pretty accommodating since the iPhone 5 is still "new".

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
I bought a phone from Radio Shack and got AppleCare + on the spot. The salesman said if I didn't get it that day I could always call and add it later, without a genius appt. not sure if it was true or not though, since I got if while I was at the store.

romeo0119

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
Jumped on it, hopefully I will get it soon. I plan to get insurance for it anyway so it doesnt bother me that it's refurb, also I can go to the genius bar anytime

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
Yes, I've read several reports that AT&T refurbs aren't actually re-manufactured iPhones. Don't know how true that is but it's something to keep in mind.

ATT used to keep a a FAQ section that explained refurbs where returned phones. I could not find it again on their site.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.