Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 3, 2013, 01:57 PM   #51
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadin View Post
Do you 'manage' your iPad Apps that are open?
Only with problem apps which is rare. Same as it was on the iPhone. Same as it was on Android.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadin View Post
I just got my iPad 4th Gen and wondered if I should be perfectly fine with ZERO concern about all the apps running in the multitasking bar.
Only one way to find out. Try it and try to enjoy it without getting all OCD.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 02:42 PM   #52
thelookingglass
macrumors 65816

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaake View Post
I usually ignore these discussions on closing apps - but I do get kind of tired of hearing that it makes no difference whatsover. I know that iOS is supposed to manage available ram and free it up on the fly as needed - but I'm sorry - it doesn't always work out the way it should. Those of us who still use original iPads with iOS 5 know this. It's not a placebo, it's not to make myself feel nice. It's the fact that there are times my keyboard lags while typing an email 3 seconds behind my fingers - until I manually force close Safari - and bam - my keyboard keeps up again. No location services running, no music or movies running in any of the tabs... iOS just doesn't release memory aggressively enough on devices that lack ram - which would be the iPad 1, in particular.

I've got several (very good) games that I can't even open if I don't force close the last 3-4 apps first. And I've got some (again, very good) games that you couldn't get past about the 7th mission without it freezing up if you didn't close *everything* *and* shut down notification center.

So yeah - I get how iOS is supposed to free up resources on demand - and it's good enough at it that I don't worry about it often - not nearly as often as I have to with my work issue android (4.1), which routinely goes through 50% of its battery in a few hours. But it definetly is an issue for some devices, and closing background apps *does* have an impact on how the system runs.

That said, those of you running newer devices are likely to never see the effect - but stop suggesting that it can't possibly be the case for everyone. Because its not.
Disagree. Well documented to be the result of a placebo effect. You're just seeing things.

Just joking. I entirely agree with you. It makes sense. The more apps you kill, the more resources are freed up for other tasks. Not rocket science. Having said that, I only see this being an issue on the iPad 1 as you mentioned. The iPad 2 and onwards all have sufficient RAM that the user shouldn't have to actively manage apps.
thelookingglass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 03:08 PM   #53
dancj
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaake View Post
I usually ignore these discussions on closing apps - but I do get kind of tired of hearing that it makes no difference whatsover. I know that iOS is supposed to manage available ram and free it up on the fly as needed - but I'm sorry - it doesn't always work out the way it should. Those of us who still use original iPads with iOS 5 know this. It's not a placebo, it's not to make myself feel nice. It's the fact that there are times my keyboard lags while typing an email 3 seconds behind my fingers - until I manually force close Safari - and bam - my keyboard keeps up again. No location services running, no music or movies running in any of the tabs... iOS just doesn't release memory aggressively enough on devices that lack ram - which would be the iPad 1, in particular.

I've got several (very good) games that I can't even open if I don't force close the last 3-4 apps first. And I've got some (again, very good) games that you couldn't get past about the 7th mission without it freezing up if you didn't close *everything* *and* shut down notification center.

So yeah - I get how iOS is supposed to free up resources on demand - and it's good enough at it that I don't worry about it often - not nearly as often as I have to with my work issue android (4.1), which routinely goes through 50% of its battery in a few hours. But it definetly is an issue for some devices, and closing background apps *does* have an impact on how the system runs.

That said, those of you running newer devices are likely to never see the effect - but stop suggesting that it can't possibly be the case for everyone. Because its not.
That sounds about right.

On my old iPhone 3GS I found that I needed to force the last couple of apps closed before running NavFree - otherwise it would seize up badly.

Nowadays on my iPhone 4S and iPad 3 on the other hand, I never feel th need to close anything unless the app I'm closing has seized up.
dancj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:11 PM   #54
Thetonyk123
macrumors 68000

No
Thetonyk123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad