Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:37 PM   #151
AppleScruff1
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
You didn't brave the mine field? Ha! You wuss.

Just like I said, I stopped by Best Buy to check it out. Unfortunately, they only got 3 units in, and had already sold them off. Didn't even have a display available to look at. So I had to settle with checking out the RT.

...it was pretty alright. It's about as thin and light as my iPad, and it's got a nice feel to it. All those people who complained about the weight must be octogenarians with serious bone deficiencies or something. I could easily hold it for a couple of hours before my arm would get tired. And the touch/type keyboard covers? I wish I could say I got to play with one, but my local BB didn't have one attached to their demo model. Damn shame, because I really wanted to see how well they worked.

And the kickstand really does make a nice "skik" sound. It was rad. :O

The only downside to the whole experience was that it does take longer than it should to launch apps. Even something as simple as the mail app takes a good 5-6 seconds to open. That's way too damn long. I wouldn't even want to think how long it'd take to open up a heavier app like Netflix, which takes a good bit even on the usually pretty speedy iPad.

If the Pro is a slightly thicker, slightly heavier version of the RT, then I can say it's at least a well built machine. I'm tempted to pick one up, but...

...I think I'm gonna wait for Haswell before I do. I really want that extra battery life.
The Pro was fast at the things I opened and tried, but I was being a bit careful due to the motion sensors and attack dogs. It seemed as fast as a good laptop to me. It is an i-5 with 4GB of RAM so it should blow the iPad and RT out of the water. Personally I like the type cover better than the touch. I can only image a Haswell version of the Pro. At least at Best Buy you can try it for 30 days and see how you like it.
AppleScruff1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:10 AM   #152
uknowimright
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleScruff1 View Post
The Pro was fast at the things I opened and tried, but I was being a bit careful due to the motion sensors and attack dogs. It seemed as fast as a good laptop to me. It is an i-5 with 4GB of RAM so it should blow the iPad and RT out of the water. Personally I like the type cover better than the touch. I can only image a Haswell version of the Pro. At least at Best Buy you can try it for 30 days and see how you like it.

When you tried it out did they have the stylus on display too?

I got the chance to check one out this weekend at Best Buy (someone gave my gf Best Buy gift cards so I was forced to go, lol.) They had none to purchase just the display model, it was set up right next to the RT so it was easy to compare

It's definitely faster than the RT (the RT did take a few seconds to launch, although was fine once opened and seemed to stay open when switching between programs) about 4 mm thicker, does have more heft (had the same issue about the sensors, I swear I even triggered a couple by just looking at the product attached to it), which could be an issue for really extended use in mid air, but I don't even find myself doing that with my iPad, so FOR ME that wouldn't be much of a concern. Performance wise it was on par with any of the ultrabooks they had there, might of even been a bit smoother. The display really is nice, was looking at a Sony VAIO close to it and it made it look like absolute dog poo poo. For the Pro I would prefer the Type Cover, the Touch Cover I think is better suited for the RT as I would imagine less productive work being done on it. Fortunately, they also had the stylus that comes with the Pro on display and it was pretty neat, the handwriting recognition was very accurate. I liked that you can hover over links, buttons, icons, ect. and see what you would press before you put the pen down.

Overall a nice little device, not sure I will pull the trigger this gen but definitely will be interested to see how it improves with Haswell.
uknowimright is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:48 AM   #153
AppleScruff1
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by uknowimright View Post
When you tried it out did they have the stylus on display too?

I got the chance to check one out this weekend at Best Buy (someone gave my gf Best Buy gift cards so I was forced to go, lol.) They had none to purchase just the display model, it was set up right next to the RT so it was easy to compare

It's definitely faster than the RT (the RT did take a few seconds to launch, although was fine once opened and seemed to stay open when switching between programs) about 4 mm thicker, does have more heft (had the same issue about the sensors, I swear I even triggered a couple by just looking at the product attached to it), which could be an issue for really extended use in mid air, but I don't even find myself doing that with my iPad, so FOR ME that wouldn't be much of a concern. Performance wise it was on par with any of the ultrabooks they had there, might of even been a bit smoother. The display really is nice, was looking at a Sony VAIO close to it and it made it look like absolute dog poo poo. For the Pro I would prefer the Type Cover, the Touch Cover I think is better suited for the RT as I would imagine less productive work being done on it. Fortunately, they also had the stylus that comes with the Pro on display and it was pretty neat, the handwriting recognition was very accurate. I liked that you can hover over links, buttons, icons, ect. and see what you would press before you put the pen down.

Overall a nice little device, not sure I will pull the trigger this gen but definitely will be interested to see how it improves with Haswell.
Unfortunately they didn't have the stylus on display. And they had it an uncomfortable height to use standing up too, it was too low. I know they are concerned about theft, but this was a bit over the top. Maybe Best Buy isn't as locked down as Staples. I know Best Buy has easier access to the iPads on display so you can get a good feel for them.

I think the Pro would be a bit heavy if you were just going to hold it and use it supporting it with your hands only. It is more suited to surface use. Pun intended. The only non Mac laptops that I have seen at Best Buy with a good display is the Asus Ultrabook and that is about $1100, it is really nice, and also an Asus G-75 gaming laptop, 17", 2GB Nvidia card, matte display, etc. for $1249.

I think that Haswell will really make this shine. I just hope Microsoft doesn't pull the plug on it. Both models of the Surface are nice products, a bit different than the iPad, but that's what choice and competition is about.
AppleScruff1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion