Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atrevers

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 24, 2007
UK
I've Googled this and searched the forums without finding anything approaching an answer, so I'm looking here for some advice. I've recently bought a new Mac Mini 5,1 to replace my old 4,1 - I've immediately installed a 128gb SSD as my boot drive, and am going to put the stock HDD in the second drive bay as soon as my cable arrives from the US. I'll be using the stock hard drive for all media storage (will probably move my home folder to it, or at least set up symbolic links).

As far as iTunes is concerned, I'm a Match subscriber, but I don't want to just leave the migration up to iTunes Match as I know that a lot of matched tracks are not right (I'm an album purist / perfectionist and I've found many cases on my iPhone where an album actually contains incorrect mixes, e.g. the single version of songs - just wrong!).

So, if I follow Apple's instructions here to copy the iTunes folder from the old machine into the correct location on the new machine, will iTunes on the new machine:

a) realise that it's the same library that has already been matched, or will it
b) duplicate my library in iTunes Match?

Any advice gratefully accepted! :)

atrevers

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 24, 2007
UK
In case anybody comes across this in future, I eventually followed the External Drive step by step guide from the linked Apple article. On signing back in to iTunes Match, it talked to the servers for a few minutes and reconnected to iTunes Match without any duplication - it worked exactly as you'd want it to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.