Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

currins

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 24, 2010
Apologize in advance for another "preparing my Mac for sale" thread, but after searching the forum I'm still confused.

I'm selling my early-2011 15" MBP on eBay. It came with the SL DVD, but I have since upgraded to Lion through the App Store.

Most everything I've read is pretty clear that I can only clean install SL since the Lion upgrade was through the App store and tied to my Apple ID.

Unfortunately, this is my first Mac sale and I didn't realize that. So on eBay, I've told the bidders that they will receive the machine with Lion installed. I found this: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US - but I'm not sure that option works for an upgrade to Lion from SL.

Is there a way to actually deliver the machine with Lion? Or perhaps I should just take $30.00 off the price once the bidding is over. I'm afraid it's going to look like an eBay bait and switch due to my ignorance.

Thanks for any help, and apologize again for beating a dead horse.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
No need to reinstall.

1. Switch on Filevault2.
2. Create new User Account, has to be an Admin Account!
3. Logout and into new Account, delete old Account.
4. Give the Login Name and Password to new User.
5. That's it.

glutenenvy

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
WA
Apologize in advance for another "preparing my Mac for sale" thread, but after searching the forum I'm still confused.

Is there a way to actually deliver the machine with Lion? Or perhaps I should just take $30.00 off the price once the bidding is over. I'm afraid it's going to look like an eBay bait and switch due to my ignorance.

The iLife apps are redeemed from that serial number and tied to your ID. Those will not transfer the the new person.

Your OS upgrade is a purchase from the app store. The first line of the FAQ explains you are licensed for the OS only as long as you own that computer. The TOS in 10.8.4 in the app store says 'non transferable'. In another words, selling the computer with anything installed through the app store is selling it with unlicensed software. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4461

To be a legal sale, the machine needs to ship without anything installed -or- installed only from the recovery disks that were shipped with the computer.

BTW when looking at the app store TOS for 10.8.4 it says $19.99. $10 less then the last time I purchased an OSX upgrade.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
^^The Apps are included in the OS, an OS is transferable with the computer!
Nobody, or few people are going to install a former OS when they sell the computer, I don't have links but I think it wouldn't be even legal for Apple to have these requirements.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

I'm selling my early-2011 15" MBP on eBay. It came with the SL DVD, but I have since upgraded to Lion through the App Store.

Most everything I've read is pretty clear that I can only clean install SL since the Lion upgrade was through the App store and tied to my Apple ID.

Unfortunately, this is my first Mac sale and I didn't realize that. So on eBay, I've told the bidders that they will receive the machine with Lion installed. I found this: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US - but I'm not sure that option works for an upgrade to Lion from SL.

Thanks for any help, and apologize again for beating a dead horse.

Like you said, your copy of Lion is tied to your AppleID, so if the new buyer ever wanted to reinstall Lion they would not be able to since they don't have your AppleID.

Here is what I would do... just use the SL disk to erase the entire drive (erase while you are on the drive name like Seagate 500GB so you erase the recovery partition as well) then reinstall the OS and iLife from your DVDs.

The new buyer can still get Lion form the App Store by calling 1800MYAPPLE and for $19.99 they will email him a code that can be redeemed in the App Store for Lion. I would just update your auction now before it closes and explain you only now learned of the problem and wanted to disclose it ASAP. I think if you wait until after the auction it is going to look more fishy than if you disclose right now. JMO :)

----------

The iLife apps are redeemed from that serial number and tied to your ID. Those will not transfer the the new person.

If OP's machine came with SL and the SL DVD installer, he should have the iLife apps on the second DVD.

currins

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 24, 2010
Thanks everyone! I do have the two original disks - SL and applications, so I'll erase and add both of these back on the machine. Going to update the eBay entry now. I'll just take the 19.99 off of shipping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.