Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:33 PM   #101
iStudentUK
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siderz View Post
This was a very useful post, thanks a lot!

Guess I won't be buying AppleCare then.

This just means I can take it to a Genius and they'll give me the same stuff as with AppleCare? Literally all I miss is being able to phone them?
You can still phone them, they just won't talk you through software issues and the like. My Mrs' MacBook battery died suddenly. She phoned Apple and they sent a courier to collect it and dropped it back.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:00 PM   #102
unknownking123
macrumors newbie

Does anyone have a list (or a link to a list) of the accessories that the education discount applies to?
unknownking123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:27 PM   #103
Siderz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iStudentUK View Post
the best bit of news is that there is a 3 year parts and labour warranty included as standard. This parts and labour warranty is similar to Applecare, but not quite as good. Applecare gives you 3 years warranty and 3 years phone support, the HE Contract gives you 3 years warranty and 1 years phone support.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iStudentUK View Post
All students I know received an email about 90 days later saying the extended warranty is now in effect (all Macs come with 90 days phone support, so I guess they tell you then to be clear your one year phone support is in effect).
I came here because I noticed on the website that my new iMac (Which I ordered online) said that they estimate the warranty will be over by Dec. 3rd next year.

But I supposed I'll wait 90 days and see what happens then.

Apple
Siderz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:02 PM   #104
Brradley
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siderz View Post
I came here because I noticed on the website that my new iMac (Which I ordered online) said that they estimate the warranty will be over by Dec. 3rd next year.

But I supposed I'll wait 90 days and see what happens then.
Have you received any sort of confirmation yet?
Brradley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:15 PM   #105
Siderz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brradley View Post
Have you received any sort of confirmation yet?
Yes, I have actually.

Received a letter (Not email, a letter) about 1 and a half weeks ago.

Apple
Siderz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:31 PM   #106
angelsguardian
macrumors regular

I bought a late 2011 base MBP with discount + discounted Applecare in an Apple Store in June. Swapped for a mid 2012 base MBP 5 days later when they arrived but was told the Applecare discount wasn't available any longer so got a refund. Reading this thread later I wasn't surprised, if disappointed that the warranty didn't extend as per HE contract as I bought in store.
Anyway, today I got Applecare to make a phone exception and call me as the power adapter has failed. During the call (all sorted and received shipping notification of new part within an hour) they started trying to sell me Applecare. I said they didn't really want to start that conversation and was asked why. So to cut a long story short was told that store should have transferred Applecare to second machine, told them the serial number of the first machine and (despite having refunded the cost) they transferred the warranty onto my new MBP. Checked service status an hour later and now have warranty & phone till June 2015.
Very impressed yet again that Apple fixed their mistake in my favour.

13" MBP mid 2012, 13" MB mid 2010, 20" iMac late 2006, 2 x ATV3, Assorted iPods
angelsguardian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:36 PM   #107
naz-dream-boys
macrumors member

thanks mate
naz-dream-boys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:10 AM   #108
RedTomato
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsguardian View Post
I bought a late 2011 base MBP with discount + discounted Applecare in an Apple Store in June. Swapped for a mid 2012 base MBP 5 days later when they arrived but was told the Applecare discount wasn't available any longer so got a refund. Reading this thread later I wasn't surprised, if disappointed that the warranty didn't extend as per HE contract as I bought in store.
Anyway, today I got Applecare to make a phone exception and call me as the power adapter has failed. During the call (all sorted and received shipping notification of new part within an hour) they started trying to sell me Applecare. I said they didn't really want to start that conversation and was asked why. So to cut a long story short was told that store should have transferred Applecare to second machine, told them the serial number of the first machine and (despite having refunded the cost) they transferred the warranty onto my new MBP. Checked service status an hour later and now have warranty & phone till June 2015.
Very impressed yet again that Apple fixed their mistake in my favour.
That is really bloody great! Nice to know customer service is still good.

I've quoted your whole story as it's worth repeating
RedTomato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 05:27 PM   #109
bmouthboyo
macrumors newbie

Can I ask, my bro is at university in his 3rd year which is a placement year. He has his uni email etc still but is not in uni this year so cannot order using uni campus internet without taking time of work and going to campus.

If we order over the phone what details will they need to verify he is in FE? And are apple still offering the 3 year apple warranty?

Thankyou
bmouthboyo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 05:58 AM   #110
macsymacker
macrumors member

As far as I remember, it was a copy of a student card emailed to them. Depends on if you talk to a rep in Eire or USA though.

Also if you open up an account using the uni email online, that should be sufficient as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmouthboyo View Post
Can I ask, my bro is at university in his 3rd year which is a placement year. He has his uni email etc still but is not in uni this year so cannot order using uni campus internet without taking time of work and going to campus.

If we order over the phone what details will they need to verify he is in FE? And are apple still offering the 3 year apple warranty?

Thankyou
macsymacker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:01 PM   #111
vash420
macrumors member

I'm looking to buy a Macbook Pro through my girlfriend's offline campus access. Is this remotely possible? She ordered a new MBA after the WWDC announcement, and is yet to be asked for student ID etc. All she did was log in to her existing (gmail registered) Apple ID through the uni network.

Is it that simple?
vash420 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:46 PM   #112
Siderz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by vash420 View Post
Is it that simple?
Pretty much, that's what happened to me.

Apple
Siderz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 06:40 AM   #113
RedTomato
macrumors 68040

Getting access to the 15% discount HE Store from home.

UPDATE

Want to buy your mac in the summer before starting uni? Apple makes it hard by demanding that you be on campus to log into the HE section. Someone's found a way around this.

http://www.mikewilson.cc/2010/08/18/...tudent-though/

The access code worked for my university, but another one I tried was dead so YMMV.

----------

UPDATE

I have heard some disabled students have been able to get 20% VAT taken off at the Apple Store in Regent Street, by saying the equipment is needed for disability support. Presumably they were able to explain exactly why they needed the gear.

I don't know if this was on top of the 15% HE discount (!)

If you're disabled but not a student, you might be able to do this too.
RedTomato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 10:14 AM   #114
r6mile
macrumors regular

I just ordered a Macbook Air from home using my UCL university discount. A few weeks ago I also ordered a Mac Mini.

To be able to order from home, just login once on your university computers, go through the whole "selecting your uni, etc." business, and copy the URL at the top. Just bookmark it at the top, and you can order using your HE discount from anywhere.

When I was an undergraduate at Sussex in 2010, I ordered a MBP from home the same way. Not once have I had to provide Student ID, or anything - not that I have a problem with that, since I actually am a student! But I can see how easily the system could be abused by non-students.
r6mile is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2013, 06:54 PM   #115
gofry
macrumors newbie

Guys,
I have read the thread and it was really really useful.
I need help in one case:
"Just make sure the Mac is shipped in the name of a student, to their address and registered by a student."
Shipped: to student: OK
Registered to student: not yet. This means that it has to be registered to the student's apple id created with university mail address (I just created one and ordered the macbook with it) or shall I use my old apple ID which I have since years? The result should be identical , or is this a dependency for the 3 years warranty?
Thanks

RESOLVED: Without setting up my mac, logged on to the self service warranty check and showed 3 years from delivery date. All fine.

Last edited by gofry; Nov 27, 2013 at 02:18 AM.
gofry is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice