Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
Hey,

I am thinking of using the Belkin WeMo for my Air Conditioning Unit...

Does anyone have any experience with these for home automation? Or even with the use of them with an air conditioning unit?

For those who don't know, they are wifi enabled outlets...

thanks for your advice,

r.

tbarney

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2012
Hey,

I am thinking of using the Belkin WeMo for my Air Conditioning Unit...

Does anyone have any experience with these for home automation? Or even with the use of them with an air conditioning unit?

For those who don't know, they are wifi enabled outlets...

thanks for your advice,

r.

I have a couple units I use for remote light control. So far they have worked flawlessly. I believe the units have a 15amp limit, not sure how much an air conditioner draws.

utekineir

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
i picked up some this winter for zone heating using space heaters

handled 1500 watt heaters no issue, as was mentioned they're rated for 15 amps.

the product pictures show ac units among other high wattage devices, just make sure the ac you use has manual controls all the wemo does is work as an on off switch for the outlet.

the ability to program schedules is pretty nice.

tbarney

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2012
As I mentioned in my previous post, the units have worked flawlessly. I'm really hoping Belkin bring some additional automation products to market.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
It really depends what your system does. It will turn the on/off switch that is all. I use the Nest Thermostat to control my heating/cooling system and am quite happy with that setup.

I use the WeMo to control my Food Dehydrator and my non-Hue lights

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
as long as the window A/C unit has a mechanical on/off switch, it will work with the WeMo. if it is an electrical switch (ie, a little button that you press or a remote and not a knob that you turn) then it won't work with the WeMo since the WeMo has no way of turning it back on once you have turned it off

jokerz126

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
wemo and gas fireplace??

new Wemo user here...wondering how the wemo lightswitch would work for a gas fireplace??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.