Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itnorfolk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
Hey Guys,

I've got an iPhone 4 on 5.1.1

I just did a factory restore on it and ran Redsn0w 0.9.15b1

Cydia is installed on the handset but if I use a 3 sim card which I know is working fine I simply get "No Service"

I don't have a t-mobile sim card here to try (thats what it was working on before I did this lol)

I remember a long time ago you installed Cydia but then had to install other software on the handset too, but from what I can see redsn0w is now a one click job...

Any ideas guys?

seanwebb68

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
Jailbraking and unlocking your iPhone for different carries are two different things...

You have only jailbroken your phone.

itnorfolk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
Jailbraking and unlocking your iPhone for different carries are two different things...

You have only jailbroken your phone.

Ahhhh ok, stupid question, but how do I unlock my carrier?

:) Doh, I feel so dumb!

edit: let me rephrase that, I'm using 5.1.1 with 04.12.02. A google produces about a million pages of results for unlock iphone 4 and if I already have cydia installed is there just an app I need to use etc? I see Ultrasn0w and blacksn0w etc but I used redsn0w so I dont want to use something that will conflict with that I've already done?

Last edited:

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
buy an IMEI unlock online

At your present BB ultrasn0w won't work, on an IP it only works for BB 1.59.0

Last edited:

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
The only thing that will unlock that baseband is an IMEI unlock from the carrier who sold the phone or a grey market vendor.

Neither Ultrasn0w nor a sim interposer will work.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Sorry but this is why you should know what your doing before you do it. Unless something changes it's doubtful we will see many more software unlocks. checj Ebay for IEMI unlocks there is a huge thread on it here if you carrier won't do it.

itnorfolk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
Sorry but this is why you should know what your doing before you do it. Unless something changes it's doubtful we will see many more software unlocks. checj Ebay for IEMI unlocks there is a huge thread on it here if you carrier won't do it.

Indeed, maybe I should have researched a bit more before starting but its all a learning curve. I was confused as I thought simply jailbreaking a device was unlocking it... I did the jailbreak and couldnt work out what I did wrong.... Obviously I did nothing wrong, the jailbreak worked - its just a shame that the BB cant be altered so the jailbreak was for nothing as I can only use an IMEI service now.

Thanks for all the input though guys. I asked and I found lol :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.