Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Baklava

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Germany
Hello everyone,

when I compare all the monitors I used so far, the old Cinema Displays were the best. No glossy screen, 16:10 (I hate 16:9), very colour accurate and good design (I had the 24" model). I'm thinking of getting the 30" used and somewhere between 600-700€. Good idea? Or waste of money for old technology?

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Hello everyone,

when I compare all the monitors I used so far, the old Cinema Displays were the best. No glossy screen, 16:10 (I hate 16:9), very colour accurate and good design (I had the 24" model). I'm thinking of getting the 30" used and somewhere between 600-700€. Good idea? Or waste of money for old technology?

I would go with the new TB display or a more recent ACD and get an anti-glare film for it if the glossyness is bothersome.

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
30" IPS technology hasn't changed much. You should be happy with a 30" ACD. Find one of the newer ones as it has a newer revision panel.

Baklava

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Germany
I would go with the new TB display or a more recent ACD and get an anti-glare film for it if the glossyness is bothersome.
I tried the film. The image looks a bit blurry.

30" IPS technology hasn't changed much. You should be happy with a 30" ACD. Find one of the newer ones as it has a newer revision panel.
Happy to hear that. As I said, I had best experiences with these old metallic displays by Apple. I am doing a lot of print work. Colour accuracy is so very important for me and these old displays did a very good job even without calibration.

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
Definitely worth it. I have 5 30" ACD's. None have any issues. Only one of them, the one that was on daily for the last 5 years has a slightly yellow tint, sadly :( Otherwise they are absolutely great. Three of the others where used a lot too, just not that much, no problems. And the fifth one I bought just recently, 4 months ago. Figured it would be best to get one now, and maybe hardly use it until one of the old ones fail.

I also have a Dell U3011. Also a great screen. Very similar colour, USB hub and SD slot, different input ports and you can rotate and adjust the height. No where near as pretty or as thin as the 30" ACD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.