Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daywiz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
What's going to happen with the ipad 2 finally retiring? Or is it going to continue in the budget oriented "cheapest rules" markets?

Scenario 1

ipad 4 becomes the budget model for $ 399.

Problem: Its mostly likely going to be very much similar in terms of performance with the ipad 5, because the 20nm A7 isn't ready, and therefore only a modified version of the A6X is going to make the cut. Exterior looks & weight reduction alone wont recreate a bigger sales drive. There has to be something more.

Possible Solution: The ipad 5 starts from 32gb to 128gb at a price bracket from $499 to $699, dropping the 16gb model.

The heavier, bulkier, ipad 4 is available only at 16gb at $399.

Scenario 2
ipad 5 becomes the only models available starting from $ 399

Problem: Profit margins may drop rapidly and there will be a lot of backlog of ipad 4s in the market.

Possible Solution: Push the ipad 4s to the markets where pricing matters while offering a substantial discount, while the more common markets get the ipad 5 in abundance during its rollout, buying them considerable time.

Scenario 3

ipad 4 is dropped and ipad 2 continues but the catch is that they upgrade with the new lightning connector & utilizing the newly modified A5.

Problem: Non-retina, expensive to redesign the chasis and retool the factories and Not cost effective enough.

Possible Solution: A cost effective method to keep the low-end bracket in contention, perhaps with a $299 ipad offer?

So what do you think? Any scenarios that seems invariably plausible?

simply stunning

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2010
I think scenario #1 is the most likely to happen. I could see them dropping the 16GB option of the current iPad, and changing the structure back to 3 memory sizes. 32, 64, and 128. then keep the 4 as a 16 GB option for $399.

It makes the most sense to me anyways.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
first jon ive will tell you how people have come to love their iPads. then that asian marketing dude will say people have used their iPads in more ways than anyone could have imagined to. then it'll go back to jon ive and he'll ponder a theoretical question of how to make something that's the best, even better. then he'll say they have re-imagined the iPad 2 by putting an A6 into it and calling it "the fastest non-Retina iPad we've ever made" and tout how it has twice the processing and graphics capability. how it's the same resolution so it will work with all of our apps. and then he'll say the most shocking thing, is that Apple has put all of these new features and hardware upgrades while maintaining the $399 price. then the hardware guy will say it's the most advanced product he has ever worked on in his career at apple

then the video ends, you're crying, and you pre-order it

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada
first jon ive will tell you how people have come to love their iPads. then that asian marketing dude will say people have used their iPads in more ways than anyone could have imagined to. then it'll go back to jon ive and he'll ponder a theoretical question of how to make something that's the best, even better. then he'll say they have re-imagined the iPad 2 by putting an A6 into it and calling it "the fastest non-Retina iPad we've ever made" and tout how it has twice the processing and graphics capability. how it's the same resolution so it will work with all of our apps. and then he'll say the most shocking thing, is that Apple has put all of these new features and hardware upgrades while maintaining the $399 price. then the hardware guy will say it's the most advanced product he has ever worked on in his career at apple

Funny :D, on a serious note I also think scenario 1 makes more sense,which will mean really tempting prices for iPad 4th Gen in used market once it happens :cool:

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
They would have to retire Ipad 2 eventually. Its a 2 years device, i dont want apple to keep feeding it with new ios until it turns out to be like Ipod touch 4 which is basically good for music only now.

Thinkin of which, i might just stop updating my Ipad 2 at 6.1.3.

As for the OP, scenario 1 should be the obvious.

daywiz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012

Lols... :D .. so u r saying a modified version of scenario 3 ..den :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.