Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which is the Greatest iPhone Release to Date!

• iPhone 2007

Votes: 74 22.0%
  • iPhone 3G 2008

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • iPhone 3GS 2009

Votes: 11 3.3%
  • iPhone 4 2010

Votes: 161 47.9%
  • iPhone 4S 2011

Votes: 28 8.3%
  • iPhone 5 2012

Votes: 43 12.8%
  • The Greatest iPhone Moment Still has not Arrived!

Votes: 9 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Haha. I lol'd.
I'm right and you are not.

----------

Bye :)

No. YOU are wrong but I'm not in the mood to argue with someone who doesn't have a clue about the hardware being discussed. Both the iPhone 3gs and the iPhone 4 utilize the PowerVR SGX535. Look it up instead of spewing s*** based on what you THINK is the case. Just because the 4 runs higher res doesn't mean they chose a more powerful GPU. They didn't do that until the A5. Does the A4 run more efficient than the 3GS Soc? Yes, but it's still the same CPU and GPU. I also didn't say anything about 200Mhz being insignificant.

LOL!

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
Great question.

The original iPhone lacked a few things that I think were essential, like 3G data and MMS, and it was also sold at an extremely high price despite being on-contract.

The iPhone 4 brought a great new form factor (although opinion was initially mixed, people quickly came to love it), the Retina display, and FaceTime with the front-facing camera.

It'll be hard to make such a jump in the future.

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
No. YOU are wrong but I'm not in the mood to argue with someone who doesn't have a clue about the hardware being discussed. Both the iPhone 3gs and the iPhone 4 utilize the PowerVR SGX535. Look it up instead of spewing s*** based on what you THINK is the case. Just because the 4 runs higher res doesn't mean they chose a more powerful GPU. They didn't do that until the A5. Does the A4 run more efficient than the 3GS Soc? Yes, but it's still the same CPU and GPU. I also didn't say anything about 200Mhz being insignificant.

LOL!

Let's put it this way :
a) We don't argue, we talk & discuss, this is a forum.
b) We both know Apple Hardware and we are both right.

Have a nice day :)

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Has to be the 3GS.
It was the "jump" to the modern iPhone hardware platform.
(Cortex-A8, PowerVR, ect.)

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
Greatest iPhone release was either the 1 or the 4. 1 because it was simply groundbreaking at the time and the anticipation was about as great for a consumer electronics device as there has ever been. It turned the company completely around financially, changed the entire mobile electronics landscape, and set the bar for all other competitors to copy. :) Or the 4 because it was the greatest leap forward as far as design and technology since the IP1 was released.

Greatest iPhone released so far has been the 5. :D

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

nep61

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2007
The first iPhone....
although I didn't own an iphone until the 3G

I say the first one in 2007, because it completely changed the Mobile experience as we knew it.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
wow, I would have thought the IP5 would have been higher considering people were begging for a larger screen, but the Blow away phone is still the 4 since it came out with retina and all glass design, I think it is the one release I will always remember, especially waiting on 3 hour line to get my pre order.

hobx

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2010
Definitely the 4. I had an n95 when the iphone came out so was put off by the design, lack of features and general appleness of the original iphone. In hindsight I wish I had got it for web browsing and google maps alone but anyhoo.

When the four came out I had had an ipad for a few months so was convinced of the features. The design is just simply drop dead gorgeous and iconic. No matter what came before or after, to this day its still just a beautiful beautiful piece of kit.

HipHopTrex

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2012
I voted 3GS, the greatest on revolutionary terms is the original.

But I went with personal preference. I've swapped iPhones, Androids, Blackberries for other models. And still my favorite is the 3GS, it's got the perfect form factor IMO (I'm not a huge fan of making phones weigh less). If the screen was retina, I would probably never upgrade. Well that and the fact the home button is finally going.:(

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
iPhone 4

1) Introduction of Retina display
2) Apple's first A4 chip to power an iPhone (512MB RAM and 32GB model for 1st time)
3) Significantly upgraded camera (5MP with LED flash + 720p video + FaceTime)
4) iOS 4 (Multitasking, Folders)
5) Became available on Verizon and Sprint
6) Last iPhone to be announced by Steve Jobs

This.

I watched most of the keynotes again, and the combination of the iPhone 4 along with Steve presenting it had everyone in a frenzy.

A frenzy that hasn't been matched since. No product since has been such an advance as the 4 was at the time, and Tim Cook is a wet fish at presenting.

placidity44

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2015
The best iPhone release for its time was the iPhone 4. The original iPhone keynote I was 14 years old and seeing the highlights on tv were cool but I didn't understand at the time how groundbreaking the product was. At the iPhone 4 keynote I was absolutely blown away with the ramifications of the future and when I saw that absolutely gorgeous display in person for the first time I was in shock and love and understood what this meant for technology.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
I like iPhone 4s due to its size. I didn't like i4 due to antenna problem. iPhone 6 is huge for me. Bigger boys like smaller toys :)

mickeydean

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2011
3GS was the first to provide the "real" iPhone experience, in that you could do everything with it. I don't think the 4-6 models added a whole lot of functionality. I know I am ignoring the front camera and everything being souped up but I am talking about what I could do with it. The new models have made it quicker but not added a whole lot of new things I could do. That said 5 was the smallest upgrade from first impressions of the keynote but probably the best in terms of how complete it felt at the time of first purchase. 6 plus is underpowered. 4 had antennagate.

soupcan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2014
Netherlands
5S.

Still the most beautiful iPhone made to date (don't like the huge antenna bands on the 6 and it looks like any other Android phone. Also miss the glass inlays at the back), it made 64-bit mainstream and TouchID, while still a bit wonky, was a game changer. Everybody's doing that now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.