Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you care about the cosmetic condition of your Apple products
Yes 12 80.00%
No 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 26, 2013, 08:14 AM   #1
Samtb
macrumors 6502a

Cosmetic condition

I'm curious whether anyone else feels this way. On most of my products, I don't care about cosmetic condition unless its very obvious as all products scratch with use but with Apple products, I'm very anally retentive about the slightest scratch which develops. Why?
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 08:28 AM   #2
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtb View Post
I'm curious whether anyone else feels this way. On most of my products, I don't care about cosmetic condition unless its very obvious as all products scratch with use but with Apple products, I'm very anally retentive about the slightest scratch which develops. Why?
Because you're anally retentive, silly person!

BTW: Milk of Magnesia or Dulcolax might help.

OK, so I don't get in trouble for being a wise ass, and in the name of being a good neighbor...your name is Legion when it come to concerns about the appearance of you devices. I would suggest that you not worry about it so much...but I know that won't help much. Write it off to enjoying seeing your devices in pristine condition...and don't pathologize it...unless seeing a little scuff causes you to scream, pull your hair out, and weep uncontrollably. Should that occur...seek help! .
Old May 26, 2013, 09:01 AM   #3
Samtb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
Because you're anally retentive, silly person!

BTW: Milk of Magnesia or Dulcolax might help.

OK, so I don't get in trouble for being a wise ass, and in the name of being a good neighbor...your name is Legion when it come to concerns about the appearance of you devices. I would suggest that you not worry about it so much...but I know that won't help much. Write it off to enjoying seeing your devices in pristine condition...and don't pathologize it...unless seeing a little scuff causes you to scream, pull your hair out, and weep uncontrollably. Should that occur...seek help! .
But why do I only feel that way about Apple products. I don't care when it's any of my other products, even more expensive ones.
Old May 26, 2013, 05:57 PM   #4
hexonxonx
Banned

I don't care. I bought a used 2010 MB that had two cracks around the hinge and minor scratches on the lid. No one will ever see it but me so who cares?
hexonxonx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 06:04 PM   #5
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
But why do I only feel that way about Apple products. I don't care when it's any of my other products, even more expensive ones.
It's a special new diagnosis...Apple-itis! It's manifested by excessive concern about the appearance of Apple products!

Truthfully...I have no idea why your concern seems to be exclusively associated with Apple stuff. Maybe it's because your read MacRumors, and so many people are fussy about their stuff.

Really, I don't know. All I can suggest is that you quite literally say to yourself..."It's just STUFF, not a wound on a person...not that important!"

Old May 26, 2013, 07:02 PM   #6
Samtb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
It's a special new diagnosis...Apple-itis! It's manifested by excessive concern about the appearance of Apple products!

Truthfully...I have no idea why your concern seems to be exclusively associated with Apple stuff. Maybe it's because your read MacRumors, and so many people are fussy about their stuff.

Really, I don't know. All I can suggest is that you quite literally say to yourself..."It's just STUFF, not a wound on a person...not that important!"

Are you actually a shrink?
Old May 26, 2013, 07:53 PM   #7
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Are you actually a shrink?
Yup.

Shocking the people who get to be shrinks...
Old May 26, 2013, 07:58 PM   #8
wordoflife
macrumors 604

I'm not anal about if my devices get scratches. But obviously, I do my best not to get them. Does that mean I use an otterbox on my laptop? Nope.
Old May 26, 2013, 09:06 PM   #9
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

I become a little flustered when I notice the first scratch(es) on any expensive device, but get over it after a couple days.
Old May 27, 2013, 05:28 AM   #10
Samtb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Yup.

Shocking the people who get to be shrinks...
Hah, macrumors must be interesting for you then.
Old May 28, 2013, 01:24 AM   #11
TyPod
macrumors 68000

I definitely care about the cosmetics, but to an extent. All my iDevices (MBP, iPhone 5, iPad Mini) are naked and I don't mind the little imperfections that come from it. Dents, screen scratches, etc. would rattle the cage.
Old May 29, 2013, 02:10 PM   #12
GermanyChris
Banned

The condition of my MP concerns me more than my MBP..
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 12:54 AM   #13
vpro
macrumors 6502a

Resale value.

It holds it's resale value, that is why some are really overly concerned with keeping their macbook pros pristine. I have been able to sell my macbook pros to resellers and gotten 1100 - 1950 for my pristine machines. So I am always buying new and upgrading as I go, the previous purchases pay for my future purchases in a way or simply - that I save up to 1000 on my next purchase because I kept my previous machines pristine...

So baby them people, there is no harm in that.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion